favorite baitcaster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that every spring I go to Lake Fork for a week and fish from sun up to sun down. Quality reels make a big difference when you fish for so long. Sorry my numbers might be off, I'll count every one next time.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that every spring I go to Lake Fork for a week and fish from sun up to sun down. Quality reels make a big difference when you fish for so long. Sorry my numbers might be off, I'll count every one next time.

Very cool. I'm headed there in an hour. Meeting the parents at the house there. Want me to send you some pics back?

I agree about the quality. But I think more fisherman are hooked by marketing to spend their money, than fish are hooked by our rods and reels.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool. I'm headed there in an hour. Meeting the parents at the house there. Want me to send you some pics back?

I agree about the quality. But I think more fisherman are hooked by marketing to spend their money, than fish are hooked by our rods and reels.
That's awesome to have a place down there. I usually stay at the old dairy. Please share some fish pics when you return.

For bass I love my 2 older Shimanos. My catfish setups are all cheap ugly sticks and Shakespeare or Catmaxx reels. Several ugly setups but they get the job done. It is crazy how much a lot of reels cost now days.

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, an old man once told me when I was a kid " lures are for catching fishermen not fish" he was right, it's worked on me for years.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with this. What is your favorite?

I have a couple academy specials, but my main ones are three of these:
Abu Garcia® Silver Max™ Casting Combo : Cabela's

Then about half a dozen spinning reels for when it's windy or want to throw smaller lures, have a challenge, crappie, catfish, etc. They range from $15 to $75.

Been bass fishing with my fly rod lately for fun. It's really fun to lock onto a 1.5-2 lb largemouth with a fly rod.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used a #9 penn for over 20 years to cast bait. I got a 6500C3 for 20 bucks as it was not working..
Fixed it and removed the brakes and it took the place of my Penn., With Brakes in it the 6500 could not cast as far as the penn.
I have 2 of the Penn GTI reels and they work very well a 330GTI and 320GTI.

They both cast bait a long way.
You guys are probably talking about the smaller ones though... Lure casting reels :)
Gotta go with John on that one,, a very old zebo 33 or a spinning reel.
Used a 700 Hoss Zebco .. it was stout.
yea I know off topic.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Garcia 5,000 and 5500C3 and various spinning reels. I have worn our several spinning reels in my life that cost $25-35.00 I have worn the gears out in 1 5500C. In 50+ years of fishing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom