FBI: How to Respond to an Active Shooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the Ersland tactics included 1 incapacitating head shot then 5 or so anchor shots to the torso.

Active shooter in a large facility may justify a good anchor shot to the dirtbag to ensure he is no longer a threat before moving on.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the Ersland tactics included 1 incapacitating head shot then 5 or so anchor shots to the torso.

Active shooter in a large facility may justify a good anchor shot to the dirtbag to ensure he is no longer a threat before moving on.

I didn't get that because Ersland wasn't dealing with active shooters. He was dealing with a couple of cowardly thugs that immediately ceased all hostilities at his 1st shot.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glocktogo: How to Respond to an Active Shooter

Summary:

1. Clear concealment.
2. Present concealed firearm.
3. Apply heavy metals to the infected area until maximum relief is achieved.
4. Reapply as necessary.

this is something i've been thinking about since Paris.

Specifically the scenario where you find yourself in a crowd with multiple attackers. You'd be round-limited and it could be tough to engage multiple targets. Add to that, would the potential difference between a terrorist and 'regular' mass shooter play into it? The paris shooters were rigged to blow, so unless you actually take them down immediately, you might be dealing with that, as well. (Again, i don't think any of these thoughts would have time to play out in an active shooter situation, just something i've wondered about lately)

(And for the record, i'm certainly not saying 'do nothing' or 'hide', i'm just thinking about situations against trained and equipped groups and how the 'one good guy with a gun' math changes in those situations)

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I for one am not looking forward to facing down any AR/AK/Mini/12ga with my CCW piece, even if they're terrible shots..

My rules would be:

1) Duck/Hide
2) Sneak
3) Shoot the F&*#$r in the back
4) Get out

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this is something i've been thinking about since Paris.

Specifically the scenario where you find yourself in a crowd with multiple attackers. You'd be round-limited and it could be tough to engage multiple targets. Add to that, would the potential difference between a terrorist and 'regular' mass shooter play into it? The paris shooters were rigged to blow, so unless you actually take them down immediately, you might be dealing with that, as well. (Again, i don't think any of these thoughts would have time to play out in an active shooter situation, just something i've wondered about lately)

(And for the record, i'm certainly not saying 'do nothing' or 'hide', i'm just thinking about situations against trained and equipped groups and how the 'one good guy with a gun' math changes in those situations)

From my perspective, its a matter of proximity. Do you actively ping the threats and close to engage, or post up and prep to engage targets of opportunity? Do you simply un-ass the area and take as many non-combatants with you as you can? Your level of training, preparation, willingness and immediate observations should all factor into those decisions. It would literally vary from moment to moment and be dependent on the specifics of the situation.

Being armed and willing to engage is a matter of self-determination. Tactics are a completely separate issue.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For certain, it is all depending on the situation. I guess the bottom line for me is I would much rather have a fighting chance, with a handgun, than try to fight a shooter off with a stapler off a desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guy with a CC would be at a distinct disadvantage against a shooter with a rifle and armor. I'm with deerwhacker444, I'm going to try and put the advantage on me by taking cover, and getting the drop on the shooter at close range for head shots if possible.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And all our well intentioned thoughts might go out the window when faced with the situation. Brave statements might turn to piss water when confronted with the chance you COULD die if you confront the danger. I have to also think that the cowards who started the situation might do the same thing when someone attacks them back instead of shooting fish in a barrel who can't defend themselves. IMO, make yourself an opportunist, hide, sneak and shoot when you know you can put that target down, most CC won't have enough ammo for spray and pray.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guy with a CC would be at a distinct disadvantage against a shooter with a rifle and armor. I'm with deerwhacker444, I'm going to try and put the advantage on me by taking cover, and getting the drop on the shooter at close range for head shots if possible.

The key being cover and not concealment. Absent any cover, closing the distance to take the rifle's accuracy advantage out of the equation is a viable tactic, especially if you can do so out of the bandit's line of sight. Near contact shots to the back of the head are pretty effective. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom