Ferris Mowers, worth the cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran two Grasshoppers years ago when they first came out. Great machines, best dumping grass catcher design the market in my opinion, one had the catcher on it and one didn’t. The one with the catcher was a diesel too. I ran them for many years as I was mowing bout 6 acres around a home we lived in back then.

I run two big zero turns where we are at now, a Hustler and a Gravley. My back is old and damaged so have been looking into suspension seats for both of them.
My Grasshopper also has the front deck so it's easy to get under trees with.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Grasshopper with a Kubota diesel and a 72" deck, best thing I ever bought. Can mow my 2.5 acre yard in about 2 hrs and it burns about 15 gallons of diesel for the whole mowing season.
My buddy has that same grasshopper to do his 4 acre yard with no trees. It's amazing how fast the ground speed is while just sipping fuel. I think he gave $10,000 for his with a few hours on it but had to pay $1100 to have it shipped from Illinois.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy has that same grasshopper to do his 4 acre yard with no trees. It's amazing how fast the ground speed is while just sipping fuel. I think he gave $10,000 for his with a few hours on it but had to pay $1100 to have it shipped from Illinois.
I bought this one for $4,000 back 6 or 7 years ago. It's a '96 model has around 800 hrs on it now.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Grasshopper also has the front deck so it's easy to get under trees with.

I had a ton of trees and hundreds of feet of big shrubs on that place years ago when I had the two Grasshoppers, and yes that out front deck was excellent for keeping them looking good underneath!

I could use an out front deck on the place I recently rebuilt to live in. It has over 1500 ft of Pines around the perimeter of the front 5 acres of this farm that I keep the underneath clean. The two zero turns I have now requires to get my entire left side up against them to clean the edges good, and every so many mows I will hand run a weedeater under them. A out front deck would make it so much easier!

IMG_6522.jpeg

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran two Grasshoppers years ago when they first came out. Great machines, best dumping grass catcher design the market in my opinion, one had the catcher on it and one didn’t. The one with the catcher was a diesel too. I ran them for many years as I was mowing bout 6 acres around a home we lived in back then.

I run two big zero turns where we are at now, a Hustler and a Gravley. My back is old and damaged so have been looking into suspension seats for both of them.
A suspension seat is the best money you can spend on a zero turn.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, I feel poor… people out here spending more than I’ve ever paid for a truck, for a tool to cut the grass. I mean come on it’s literally just cutting the grass.

I will say Ferris mowers are good though. My father-in-law bought a smaller Ferris about 15yrs ago (nowhere near the cost of this one) and it’s still a mowing SOB to this day. He mows close to 10acres in the country, not a 1acre flat lot. It can raise the deck way higher than most z-turns which makes it kinda like a brush hog for tall/neglected areas.

Personally I mow about 2 acres and I’m young with kids on a blue collar income. I can’t imagine spending $10k++ to cut the grass lol. I don’t enjoy mowing… it’s like cleaning a toilet bowl to me, just a crappy job that has to be done. I live out of town and my lawn doesn’t need to look perfect.

Several years ago I bought an older cub cadet 50” z-turn with the Kawasaki 691 used for $900. It works for me. I do my own repairs so the occasional needed fix doesn’t bother me.

If I had $10k+ to spend its going to other things in life, and I’ll just keep my old used mower as long as I can lol

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not in the market, was just curious if anyone had any Ferris experience and if they were worth the extra cost. I've ran a couple of grasshoppers over the years, wasn't much of a fan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom