Fess up folks! cooking confession time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love oven roasted garlic. I even have a dedicated terracotta thingy I use to do the roasting in my conventional oven. The new improved recipe off the Interwebs said to wrap the garlic cloves in damp paper towels and microwave on high for 2 minutes. I put the wrapped cloves in the microwave, set the timer and went outside. I came back in about 15 minutes later and the cloves of garlic had caught afire inside the microwave and it was still going. Kitchen full of smoke and the odor of charred garlic and paper through the whole house. I had set the timer for 20 minutes instead of 2. Ruined the microwave.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made some chilli one time that was inferno hot with spices. First day all it took to eat a bowl was a glass of milk. Second day it would take the skin off your teeth. Man that stuff was hot!!! My stupid cat ate every bit of the leftovers and was mad there wasn't more. I have a dog now, he won't eat stuff like that.

ithrowicecubes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realized half way through making mac & cheese that we didn't have any milk, so I decided to substitute the milk for a handful of shredded cheddar cheese. That's when my wife walked in and caught me in the act. I ended up going to the store for milk.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
back when i was single and batchin', i bought me a new cast iron dutch oven. first NEW cast iron i ever had. i had heard they needed to be seasoned, so i put some oil, onion salt and garlic salt in it and threw it on a burner of the cook stove in the kitchen. thought what the heck, i'll throw a little red cayenne powder in it too. accidently dumped in more than i intended, so i put a little more oil in it, and went out on the porch where i had some steaks grillin and an ice chest full of coldbeer. got to drinkin beer, eatin steak, and visitin and plumb forgot about it til someone said it looked like the house was on fire. evidently my grease had cooked dry and the whole thing was smokin like a peterbuilt. ran towards the kitchen but didnt make it. did you know when you burn dry cayenne pepper it makes toxic smoke? not only could i not see, i couldnt breath either. ran out to the water hose and got myself hosed off enough i could function (barely) covered my face and crawled back in and got the pan and carried it outside. we had to evacuate the entire front yard.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
back when i was single and batchin', i bought me a new cast iron dutch oven. first NEW cast iron i ever had. i had heard they needed to be seasoned, so i put some oil, onion salt and garlic salt in it and threw it on a burner of the cook stove in the kitchen. thought what the heck, i'll throw a little red cayenne powder in it too. accidently dumped in more than i intended, so i put a little more oil in it, and went out on the porch where i had some steaks grillin and an ice chest full of coldbeer. got to drinkin beer, eatin steak, and visitin and plumb forgot about it til someone said it looked like the house was on fire. evidently my grease had cooked dry and the whole thing was smokin like a peterbuilt. ran towards the kitchen but didnt make it. did you know when you burn dry cayenne pepper it makes toxic smoke? not only could i not see, i couldnt breath either. ran out to the water hose and got myself hosed off enough i could function (barely) covered my face and crawled back in and got the pan and carried it outside. we had to evacuate the entire front yard.

Speaking of evacuations. We had a guy dry some tennis shoes in a microwave oven at work one time. Every one had to leave the shop from the smell. We had to take up donations for a new microwave cause no one would use the old one after that.

trollkepr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having Thanksgiving at my parents house and I was helping my mother with the cooking. It was time to remove the foil to brown the turkey. It smelled so good. I opened the oven and it had never been turned on. Dinner was in less than an hour. The wonderful smell was the parts in the pot for the gravy.

Bunny, I always shut off the stove before dropping anything into oil. I came too close to a fire once from a boil-over

Latest posts

Top Bottom