Field dress where they lay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many of you field dress the deer where you find it or take it somewhere else to do it? The buck I shot Sunday I tried to drag it to the edge of the timber by myself and it wasn’t happening with everything still inside him I barely made it after dressing him

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our local butcher charges $10 to gut and skin. Haven't gutted one myself in a few years. If can't drag it out and ATV isn't an option, dress it there and wouldn't expect to hunt around there for a while. Coyotes and buzzards will clean it up overnight.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had a problem with gut piles driving game away. Deer aren't all that skittish around coyotes and screech birds. They keep there distance how ever. If hunting around a feeder I would drag the deer a ways away to drop the cut pile.

In warm weather getting the guts out allows better cool down and of course easier drag out. Even better in warm weather to get the animal gutted and hanging a skinned

Minimize the cuts to keep dirt out. Small belly cut, cut the diaphragm and reach up inside and pull the windpipe down and cut the windpipe up as high up as you can reach. Don't bother cutting the throat you animal should already be dead from internal bleed out anyway. Belly cut will drain the blood.

Make sure boning out in the field is legal where you hunt. It is not legal every where.

Latest posts

Top Bottom