Field dress where they lay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I killed a doe yesterday morning. Gutted her where she fell. Drug her 100-150yds to where I could get the truck. Walked to the truck, drove to deer (ten-fifteen minute max).

Crows were already on my deer, hadn't started eating on it yet. I got her skinned and on ice, had to stay there at the farm for the rest of the day, and saw buzzards over the gut pile area for a very short bit. I didn't walk over there, but I bet they had that cleaned up by 9AM.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a game cam pic taken not even 8 hours from where a deer gut pile lay earlier that day.
Resized_WGI_0029_148008960707392.jpeg

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me either, but they were closing in within minutes of putting that deer down. I could hear them getting closer. I wasn't going to chance having to shoot a deer and leave it to them.
Had this happen in Kansas when my buddy and I were hunting. Dropped a doe right at end of shooting light, got her gutted by dark and were taking her out of the back 40 to the two track where the truck was. By the time we got her in the truck I dropped 2 coyotes with my bolt action and a 1000 lumen flashlight...if thats any indication of how close and persistent they were :)

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Had this happen in Kansas when my buddy and I were hunting. Dropped a doe right at end of shooting light, got her gutted by dark and were taking her out of the back 40 to the two track where the truck was. By the time we got her in the truck I dropped 2 coyotes with my bolt action and a 1000 lumen flashlight...if thats any indication of how close and persistent they were :)
Sounds like a good way to go coyote hunting. Just go drag an animal carcass around the woods after dark. :D

boomer mooner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a nilgai in South Texas a few years back. Field dressed it there, winched it into the truck and took it to the barn. Went back by not 4 hours later hoping to see a coyote. Buzzards had already been there and the only thing left of the gut pile was a pile of grass from the stomach!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot a nilgai in South Texas a few years back. Field dressed it there, winched it into the truck and took it to the barn. Went back by not 4 hours later hoping to see a coyote. Buzzards had already been there and the only thing left of the gut pile was a pile of grass from the stomach!

Nice! You get drawn on a hunt or go to one of the big ranches? How was the meat?

Latest posts

Top Bottom