Field dress where they lay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've always gutted them where they dropped, and processed them ourselves asap. I'm paranoid enough about getting the blood out of the meat that I always bring an extra water bottle with me to rinse the chest cavity out once I've dumped the guts out. At the very least, we always skinned, quartered, rinsed 2x and had the meat sitting in an ice bath for a while.

Never had the gut pile mess up a hunting spot, or bother deer at all, up to the point of killing several deer within feet of a gut pile later in the day.

To that point, I killed a nice doe on the Waurika public land during the last day of muzzleloader season...my buddy and I were gutting her, and another big doe walked up on us out of the treeline...spotted us and all 3 of us froze. Luckily I had reloaded my rifle after I shot, and my buddy slowly picked it up, turned and shot her from 15-ish yards as she turned to run.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
😲
Deer are approximately 102* in live condition. Dead deer with hide cool really really slow. In around 60* outdoor air temp, a deer carcass with guts will only cool 1-2 degrees per hour until hitting a plateau around 12 hours at about 85* where it can stay for awhile. The guts will start to generate some heat keeping the temperature from falling.

Does your friend call this method the crock pot method?
i would ask him but he died from a bad case of food poisoning some time ago.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I hunted public land and had to drag to a road/parking area, I always gutted on spot, or close by at least; now that I hunt private mainly, I usually take it away from where I sit, especially if its warm temps, just in case the varmints don't get it cleaned up soon enough...when you're surrounded by Black Kettle land, I think even the coyotes get full sometimes!
There are a crap ton of coyotes, bobcats, etc around you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom