Field dress where they lay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i haven't tried this. i was told once that if you cut the throat and hang it so that it bleeds out and then leave the guts inthe carcass until it cools to ambient temperature the meat will be better. anyone else try this?

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I hunted public land and had to drag to a road/parking area, I always gutted on spot, or close by at least; now that I hunt private mainly, I usually take it away from where I sit, especially if its warm temps, just in case the varmints don't get it cleaned up soon enough...when you're surrounded by Black Kettle land, I think even the coyotes get full sometimes!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i haven't tried this. i was told once that if you cut the throat and hang it so that it bleeds out and then leave the guts inthe carcass until it cools to ambient temperature the meat will be better. anyone else try this?
The faster the meat cools the better it will be. Gut, and head for the nearest convivence store to smother in ice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom