Field dress where they lay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The faster the meat cools the better it will be. Gut, and head for the nearest convivence store to smother in ice.
that has always been my way of thinking also. but i was told this by a reputable source. i haven't tried it but i guess i should just to see? wort case the dogs would eat well for a while.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that has always been my way of thinking also. but i was told this by a reputable source. i haven't tried it but i guess i should just to see? wort case the dogs would eat well for a while.
Just so that I understand you, do you mean to hang the deer with the guts intact?

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i haven't done this so it may be a bunch of hooky for all i know but i was told to bleed them and let them lay with the guts inside until the carcass cools to ambient temp and then dress them out.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i haven't tried this. i was told once that if you cut the throat and hang it so that it bleeds out and then leave the guts inthe carcass until it cools to ambient temperature the meat will be better. anyone else try this?

Dude, please don't do that.

When the heart stops beating, the blood stops pumping.

The minute that deer dies, bacteria start multiplying, particularly in the stomach/intestines.

Gut, hang, skin and cool asap. If you can hang it in a cool (40F) place while the skinned, gutted carcass is intact it will make the meat better - the fibers in the muscles can't shrink and they will develop microtears that will "tenderize" the meat. There are good bacteria that will develop at that colder temp that will also improve the quality. Hanging a deer carcass for a week at 40F is beneficial - being in Oklahoma, you probably won't get to do that unless you have access to a cooler.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i haven't done this so it may be a bunch of hooky for all i know but i was told to bleed them and let them lay with the guts inside until the carcass cools to ambient temp and then dress them out.

It's a lot easier to accidentally puncture the guts if they are swollen. If you let it lay for any length of time at all, they will surely swell.

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where they lay and plus one for the quartering in the field. My butcher gives me quite a discount for skinned and quartered so thats a bonus and it doesnt take much longer anyway!

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The minute that deer dies, bacteria start multiplying, particularly in the stomach/intestines.

Gut, hang, skin and cool asap. If you can hang it in a cool (40F) place while the skinned, gutted carcass is intact it will make the meat better - the fibers in the muscles can't shrink and they will develop microtears that will "tenderize" the meat. There are good bacteria that will develop at that colder temp that will also improve the quality. Hanging a deer carcass for a week at 40F is beneficial - being in Oklahoma, you probably won't get to do that unless you have access to a cooler.
don't worry. i haven't done it just wanted to see ifanyone else has heard of this? seems to be hooey then.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I love our cooler!

Attachments

• 1CD05D66-C4A8-44AF-B586-26DF52138028.jpeg
    1CD05D66-C4A8-44AF-B586-26DF52138028.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 31
  • B38BB619-A485-418C-BE3A-B5F91FE948DC.jpeg
    B38BB619-A485-418C-BE3A-B5F91FE948DC.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 33

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
😲
Deer are approximately 102* in live condition. Dead deer with hide cool really really slow. In around 60* outdoor air temp, a deer carcass with guts will only cool 1-2 degrees per hour until hitting a plateau around 12 hours at about 85* where it can stay for awhile. The guts will start to generate some heat keeping the temperature from falling.

Does your friend call this method the crock pot method?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom