Finally got an M1A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothydehart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way out of my price range now and with my health, probably more rifle than I can handle.

To tell the truth, I would rather have my 49s back. Damn thieves. I had a 7mm, 8mm, 30.06 and one that someone had converted to 7.62 x 51. The 7mm was my favorite to shoot.
Heck I don’t blame you

Timothydehart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a basic loaded M1A years ago. I really liked it but, they are hard on brass. The older guys used to tell me shoot the brass 3 times then trash it before it separates . I replaced it with an Armalite AR10-T and never regretted it. I always wanted a White Feather M1A.
Yeah I don’t reload or anything so heck it don’t matter much to me plus I’ve had my fair share of ar10s and what not but just something about the m1A that keeps me coming back

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you plan in shooting in it… bullet weight, etc. i loaded some Varget and 168gr but need to get back to the range. Didn’t keep good notes back then. Got a lot of brass, But thinking about some 147gr or thereabouts next go round, since that’s what I was shooting when training with that rifle.
Nice lumber btw!

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like 308 toys, only problem is time and keeping up with the reloads!!!
A7948CB2-E09F-4BC5-AF9E-60FC4275A90C.jpeg

Timothydehart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you plan in shooting in it… bullet weight, etc. i loaded some Varget and 168gr but need to get back to the range. Didn’t keep good notes back then. Got a lot of brass, But thinking about some 147gr or thereabouts next go round, since that’s what I was shooting when training with that rifle.
Nice lumber btw!
I bought something Hornady for hunting I think it was like 165gr soft point American whitetail line. But back when I had my last M1A I shot hornday match 168gr which back then it was like 20 a box for match

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations! You're gonna love that rifle.

I've used mine a fair bit. I run 147-150 fmjs in it almost exclusively. Brass is good for 4 shots, then pitch it. You can buy (or used to could) surplus brass. If you go that route get the higher grade stuff, it's worth it.

I've killed pigs and deer with mine, but the sights are the absolute pits in low light.

For actual use, the fiberglass GI stocks are better, IMHO. You can put the wood back in the box and save some wear and tear on it. (I tend to beat the crap out of run n gun rifles)

Checkmate mags run the best from what I've experienced.

Latest posts

Top Bottom