First Ground Up AR Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the upper all buily up and still waiting on my spartan lower, I opted to go to the 14.5" Rainer Select Barrel and I am really glad that I did bcause I really like the way that it looks with the 15" handguard over it. Also glad that a guy I work with has experience with attaching the comps permanently.

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings_20121206_151313.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings_20121206_151322.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings_20121206_151329.jpg

And now this thread is no longer useless without pics :)

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So out of the multiple AR's that I have owned I have only ever built the lowers up and always ordered complete uppers. With the release of the 2 Vets Arms Decendents of Sparta Lowers I decided I was going to build one of tge 3 lowers that I ordered into a rifle that I always said I wanted. I spent quite a bit of time researching and reading reviews on all of the different compenents and also writing down what pieces I did and didnt like from prior builds. Here is the list of parts that I decided on and either already have or am waiting on to be delivered. I am really looking forward to getting this rifle all put together and getting it out to the range.

The Spartan Build
Upper-
Wilson Combat Receiver
Rainer Raptor Charging Handle
Rainer Arms Select SS Barrel Matte
RGuns NiBX BCG
KIES Adjustable Gas Block
556 Tactical Stryker Comp
Midwest Industries Gen2 SS 15" Handguard

Lower-
2 Vets Arms Spartan Lower
PSA LPK
Magpul ACS-L Stock Kit
Geissele SSA-E Trigger
KNS Anti-Rotation Pin Kit

Accessories-
Magpul BUS
Magpul AFG
Eotech 556.A65
Vortex 3X Magnifier w/flip mount

Things that I would change, and these are only suggestions:

Gunfighter mod4 charging handle. The Raptor sticks out pretty far and is going to suck when slung.

Troy Lopro gasblock. I'm not a fan of adjustable ones.

Dynacomp. Since you listed a compensator and I think the dyna is a solid piece for the $$.

Troy TRX rail or Samson Evo rail. I think they are better built pieces than MI.

I would get a 3x w/a flip mount. I think they are a poor idea. They add a lot a weight and are cumbersome. You would be better off with a 1-4x optic or an acog ($$$).

Again, these are just my opinions. Some is from experience and the rest is speculation. Either way, I wish you luck with your build. I know I really enjoy putting together AR's and know you will enjoy building one from the ground up.

**EDIT** - Didn't realize you already had these parts.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Things that I would change, and these are only suggestions:

Gunfighter mod4 charging handle. The Raptor sticks out pretty far and is going to suck when slung.

Troy Lopro gasblock. I'm not a fan of adjustable ones.

Dynacomp. Since you listed a compensator and I think the dyna is a solid piece for the $$.

Troy TRX rail or Samson Evo rail. I think they are better built pieces than MI.

I would get a 3x w/a flip mount. I think they are a poor idea. They add a lot a weight and are cumbersome. You would be better off with a 1-4x optic or an acog ($$$).

Again, these are just my opinions. Some is from experience and the rest is speculation. Either way, I wish you luck with your build. I know I really enjoy putting together AR's and know you will enjoy building one from the ground up.

**EDIT** - Didn't realize you already had these parts.

No worries, all of the parts I have are from extensive reading of reviews, or personal expeeience. I have owned probably 6 or 7 AR's over the past 2 years and have figured out what I liked and didnt like. This is my ideal build. Thanks for the input though its always appreciated.

Also the eotech is a 511.A65 (not sure how 556 got there other than me writing it down multiple times haha).

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good lookin upper... but damn that thing looks heavy with that big fat barrel. It is nice to be able to put a whole project together exactly how you want it. Be sure to let us know how she shoots.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hasn't been built yet but once it is I will have pics up.

I wish you had taken pictures at all stages during the build. Now that would be an exciting thread. Us newbies to AR-15 are overwhelmed by the prospect of putting together a custom rifle. But if I thought I wouldn't screw it up, I would give it a try.

LL

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish you had taken pictures at all stages during the build. Now that would be an exciting thread. Us newbies to AR-15 are overwhelmed by the prospect of putting together a custom rifle. But if I thought I wouldn't screw it up, I would give it a try.

LL

I have at least 3 more upper projects happening over the next few months I will make sure to get pics then. But for now don't be afraid to ask questions everyone on here is always helpful. If you want PM me and I can help ya out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom