First hand experience: S&B/IMI, 9mm & 45ACP?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Looking at brand and weight in both calibers for a case of each. Roughly $200 more for consistent reviews from Federal HST.​

Any first hand experience with IMI or S&B? Below is what I was considering.

9mm
The 124gr Di-Cut Hollow Point Ammo By IMI of Israel is under .50 a round at $479.00 before tax. I read some skepticism about expansion. Any direct experience?
==Vs==
Sellier Bellot 124gr HP at .50 cents or $499, if you can find it.
==Vs==
Federal HST 124gr at .68 cents, or $679.

45ACP
1000 Round Case - 45 Auto 230 Grain JHP Hollow Point Ammo by Sellier Bellot - SB45C
$459
==Vs==
1000 Round Case - 45 Auto Federal HST 230 Grain HP Hollow Point LE Ammo - P45HST2
$699

Thnx!

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow I had no idea ammo was this expensive. I have not shot a factory loaded round in about 8-9 years. I reload everything even ammo in my concealed carry & self defense guns.

stocked up on components during the Trump administration when everything was cheap and plentiful. Recently restocked the inventory and cost for 9mm 115g FMJ RN for plinking and training is under .16 cents. Self defense ammo using Rocky Mountain reloading 124g FMJ HP “nuke” (their name not mine, uniform expansion at pistol velocities) is still under 25 cents a round.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Looking at brand and weight in both calibers for a case of each. Roughly $200 more for consistent reviews from Federal HST.​

Any first hand experience with IMI or S&B? Below is what I was considering.

9mm
The 124gr Di-Cut Hollow Point Ammo By IMI of Israel is under .50 a round at $479.00 before tax. I read some skepticism about expansion. Any direct experience?
==Vs==
Sellier Bellot 124gr HP at .50 cents or $499, if you can find it.
==Vs==
Federal HST 124gr at .68 cents, or $679.

45ACP
1000 Round Case - 45 Auto 230 Grain JHP Hollow Point Ammo by Sellier Bellot - SB45C
$459
==Vs==
1000 Round Case - 45 Auto Federal HST 230 Grain HP Hollow Point LE Ammo - P45HST2
$699

Thnx!
I have some and have shot the IMI 124gr Di-Cut HP, but have not done any expansion test on it. I have only tested it to make sure it will feed properly through my AK-V and it did. The one video I watched that did testing on it said that it clogged on clothing, but pretty much any HP will that doesn't use some kind of barrier block in the HP cavity.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks both of you for the comments and observation.

It is sticker-shock for sure.

Been reloading for a variety of rifle calibers since 2009. Never had a huge legacy with handgun rounds though, just a bit of .38 & .357.

That said, there is a component to my own stocking-up plans for supplies as well.

Maybe I can find some gel tests that substantiate the expansion question better.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Federal HST has street cred out the wazoo. It's been a standard LEO issue round for many years along with Speer Gold Dot.

If you aren't afraid of the price, stock it without a single care other than feeding and functioning in your guns.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t shot IMI 9mm but I exclusively shoot their 5.56 when I run run n gun competitions and it’s really good stuff. I’ve shot both their 55g M193 and 77g match.

I would assume their 9mm has the same quality control as their rifle ammo and is good to go.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t shot IMI 9mm but I exclusively shoot their 5.56 when I run run n gun competitions and it’s really good stuff. I’ve shot both their 55g M193 and 77g match.

I would assume their 9mm has the same quality control as their rifle ammo and is good to go.
Thanks gmar. Was curious about the IMI 5.56 77g as well. My twist is 1:8 and they specifically mention 1:7 in their literature so needed to ask that question next.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks gmar. Was curious about the IMI 5.56 77g as well. My twist is 1:8 and they specifically mention 1:7 in their literature so needed to ask that question next.
I shoot a lot of IMI 55 grain, but have not bought any of the 77gr, it's great stuff. I loaded up on it this last summer when ammo was cheaper and before the Hamas raids cut off supply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom