First semi auto. Beretta A400?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m looking to buy my first ever semi auto. Needs to be a 20ga, budget is about $1500. It needs to be dead reliable and be able to handle steel shot and 3” shells. I have a nasty habit of buying the cheaper version of something, and then later wanting to spend more money on something nicer. I then end up with a lot more money spent and extra firearms. The extra firearms part isn’t bad, but the extra money spent is. So this time around, as I get back into hunting upland game, I want to buy something nice.

Been looking at the Beretta A400 Upland in 20ga. Went and handled one today, felt amazing, I was impressed overall. Even has the safety in the right spot, which is a big deal for me. With some discounts in my favor, I can likely get it for under $1400. Anyone have any real world experience with this shotgun?

also looked at a Beretta A300 ultima, which had a much friendlier price tag.

I also looked at the Winchester SX4, which seemed like a decent shotgun as well. But I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews about it.

If you had the same budget and needs as I do, what would you purchase? Something else? Any thoughts on these three shotguns?

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have experience with the A400, but it's on my wish list. I will say both my Beretta A302 and Al390 have been completely reliable for thousands of rounds. They make nice shotguns.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The A400 is a gem. I'm not a gas gun guy typically, but I would own one in a second. I'm in the process of upgrading my 20 gauge to an auto and will be considering it.

I will probably go with an Franchi Affinity in 20 to match my 12 or the new Super Black Eagle in 20. The Franchi is well within your budget, the SBE probably isn't.

Retired1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Benelli Montefeltro
I had one in 20 ga, sold it in a moment of weakness, regretted it ever since. I will be getting another one.

The Franchi Affinity shares most of the Benelli's features and looks to have more stock options.

I have several Franchis and like them all. My favorite is my Aspire O/U .410 (that I paid a too high a price for during it's short lived production run, in another moment of weakness).

Last edited:

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a A400 in 12ga, sold it and got an M2. I love the M2 but I regret selling the Beretta. It was such a sweet shooting gun. You will not be disappointed. I also have a A400Xcel that I use for clays, it’s a dream to shoot too.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Snagged up the A400 upland for just over $1300 out the door at cabelas last night. Such a pretty firearm, I’m beyond excited to go shoot it. Just gotta find some ammo and a clay thrower. Found out I only have 250 rounds of 7/8oz dove loads laying around, haven’t owned a 20ga in over 13 years.

as a side note, if you know anyone who complains that firearms are too easy to purchase, just send them to cabelas. Took me over two hours to purchase the shotgun, with 4 different people checking everything and verifying. I had instant approval too.

08529304-3E52-4069-8F07-11D83DF5B49C.jpeg

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Snagged up the A400 upland for just over $1300 out the door at cabelas last night. Such a pretty firearm, I’m beyond excited to go shoot it. Just gotta find some ammo and a clay thrower. Found out I only have 250 rounds of 7/8oz dove loads laying around, haven’t owned a 20ga in over 13 years.

as a side note, if you know anyone who complains that firearms are too easy to purchase, just send them to cabelas. Took me over two hours to purchase the shotgun, with 4 different people checking everything and verifying. I had instant approval too.

View attachment 228380
Wait until you’re delayed at Cabelas or Bass Pro…8 hour total investment.

Congrats on your purchase. In hindsight, before all I said was “Benelli”, I should’ve asked what you were going to do with the gun. Beretta has guns are the softest shooting scatter guns ever made. Additionally, they're the only gas systems I’d trust in a blind or the mini sand storms of the western OK upland fields.