Fixed blade for $60?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Runner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a medium size multi-purpose knife, I am a fan of the Knives of Alaska Trekker Series Knives. Specifically, I like the Elk Hunter. Even though it is called a hunting knife, it is also an excellent utility and tactical knife. This link has a review of the Elk Hunter knife http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=011wzAws5iM
Here are my pros and cons

Pros:
made is USA
very light to carry
multi-purpose knife
flat grind knife (if you prefer hollow grind knife, look at the Pronghorn Hunter)
D2 steel (harder steel and better edge retention than AUS-8 and 420HC steel on less expensive knives)
Relatively inexpensive for American made quality - currently on sale for $80 at Cabelas

Cons:
D2 steel is semi-stainless. It can stain or rust easier than a true stainless steel. I apply Ballistol occasionally to the D2 steel and haven't had any issues with staining or rusting. If you desire true stainless steel with a similar quality of steel as D2, I would look at knives with S30V steel. The Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf Knife comes in your choice of D2 or S30V. Another favorite all purpose knife for approx. $80 is the Cold Steel Master Hunter with the VG-1 San Mai III steel.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_06_14_u7emuse8.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_06_14_e2edu7yg.jpg

My wife got this for me. Problem solved!!

supraman762

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im gonna go with cold steel. a gi tanto is a no frills but very capable fixed blade knife and well in your price range. if you want more frills there is other options. nothing wrong with ka-bar either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom