Flip up sights, not a2 peep hole.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am looking for some good flip up sights for my ar15 but I am not a huge fan of the a2 or what ever peephole style rear sights. I want something that lines up nicely for a good accurate aim. Any ideas?

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weeelll, peep sights are the standard for a reason- they provide good accurate aim.:thumb:

If you're grunting & gunning, yes, you can shoulder your rifle, and find the peep gunked up. If that's a real consideration, the easiest solution I would suggest is to take a peep, and have your smith zip the top 1/3 of the fine diopter off with the mill and square the remaining notch. About as close to the WWI era open sight profile as you'll get with an otherwise "modern" assembly, AFIK.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
its not gunk in the peep. the problem i have with them is there is no real reference. i mean its great for center of body mass shooting style but i find them to be less natural for finite shooting. i know that sounds weird and i am probably the only person in the world that would rather have a pistol type site on an m4.

i have played a lot of first person shooters and while i cannot name the guns off the top of my head there are many that have different sight styles that are not a peep hole necessary on the rear. and the front sight will have a design that will fit nice and flush like puzzel pieces into the rear when you look at it and you know you ave it lined up right then just line up the box or point or circle.

i am sure my words have failed to explain what i mean.
these are a2 sights like i have seen on every other ar-15 and i have issues with pin point shooting with these sights because other than just looking thru the hole, i have nothing to really line up the rear hole with the front sight especially with the magpul mbus. this rear: http://www.themodernwarfare2.com/images/mw2/weapons/m4a1-2-t.jpg and this front: http://www.themodernwarfare2.com/images/mw2/weapons/famas-2-t.jpg but both of these line up pretty much the same, just one has a open ring front and the other dosent. but i have never really seen a real m4 with a closed ring front.

something like these is what i am after: http://www.themodernwarfare2.com/images/mw2/weapons/scar-h-2-t.jpg
http://www.themodernwarfare2.com/images/mw2/weapons/mp5k-2-t.jpg

even the ak like this is better to me and would work: http://www.themodernwarfare2.com/images/mw2/weapons/ak-47-2-t.jpg

i am sure there is a world to describe and probably even help me find some that will flip up mount on the m4 flat top rail and forearm rail. i just do not know what that word is..

i know all those are video game pictures, and that is probably not something gun owners like you all want to be in the same boat with, but some other examples in real life i have shot that i prefer to the a2 but are not rail mounted or on carbines include. my 91/30 mosin nagant, most 22 sights and standard hunting style rifles with fixed irons, or rear leafs.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be a tad confused, but AK stock sights suck, and that's pretty much an accepted statement.

Have you fired a real rifle with the A2 dual apertures? One is a ghostring(the large opening you refer to) the second is a true peep sight, which is significantly smaller. Given that current riflemen make 600m quals with the A2 peep, I would submit that it is more than adequate for sighted fire, and will generally be more accurate than open-tops (ie, the Nagant, buckhorns, etc) because it ensure you center the front post.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the issue is more not understanding how to properly use them or line them up

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

learning to shoot with the irons is truly easy and if you can't shoot accurately with these then you have room to improve.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do not misunderstand. I can hit a siloette at 100yrds with them, but there's no grouping to my shots. Even the mosin I shoot way better groups across all ranges. But even at 50-25yrds the a2 groupings are no comparison to my 22lr rifles. I realize they are target rifles and the a2 is for target acquisition and time on target, but to me, all the a2 is is looking thru a hole at the front sight, which leaves too much room for being off and messing up the groups. And at 100yrds If I not leaving the exact same amount of space between the peep and the front sight, then my shots spread out a lot. So basically what you all are telling me is get over it because i am not going to find the same sights as the scar-h in a flip up rail mount design adjustable for my ar?

You could have simply said that or nothing at all, instead of critiqueing my opinion in what I want on my gun. But I suppose that's 90% of why people reply on forums.. .

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Be careful the toes you step on here! If your zero at 25yds can't be covered by a dime, then maybe you need to go to a good rifle school maybe up at USSA. Or better yet join the US Army or Marines, they'll teach you how to use that peep sight.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not misunderstand. I can hit a siloette at 100yrds with them, but there's no grouping to my shots. Then the problem is you- not the sights. Nothing wrong with wanting what you want, but you have an issue that will probably take some instruction to overcome.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So basically what you all are telling me is get over it because i am not going to find the same sights as the scar-h in a flip up rail mount design adjustable for my ar?

No, what folks are telling you is: If you can't shoot accurately with A2 aperture sights, then your problem is more likely to be technique and training related, not equipment related. Training and skill first, gear second is the common theme.

Latest posts

Top Bottom