FN TPS - anyone changed the trigger guard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I been lookin' at my TPS for a while, wondering what I can do to it. The pistol grip and forend were already replaced when I bought it from the Classies here a few years back. So I have looked several times at the trigger guard to see what can be done, and today decided to measure it.

Here's the stock triggerguard:

And with the calipers....

46.5mm, measures the same as my ARs. Wow, interesting... so I happened to have an extra Magpul black winter triggerguard laying around... so, naturally, I decided to see if it'll work! :D

Seems to fit, has the same pushtab on the front in the right place, and a rollpin in the back. Only problem is... I can't get the damn rollpin out! I've been whacking on it with a hammer and a 1/8 punch and it isn't budging. Being that it is polymer/plastic, I really don't want to break this thing (the trigger guard attachment, I mean). It doesn't appear to be a screw-in type like the Magpul. My 1.5mm hex slides right through it, and the 1/16 goes in, but doesn't lock on to anything. The larger ones don't fit in. For all the world it LOOKS just like a plain ol' rollpin, but I've been whacking on it pretty good and got not a budge out of it. Tried it from both sides.

Next bet is to rig up a REALLY solid support under it and see how much damage it'll take, I suppose. Just was hoping for some confirmation that someone else has done this before I break out the big stick. :/

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lotsa looks and no comments, huh?

Well, I bought the FN a few years back because I am familiar with the brand and knew it would be good quality, it had nice iron sights and a toprail, already had a pistol and collapsible stock and it seemed to fit my purpose as a HD shotty pretty well. I really didn't know anything about it or do any research on it prior to purchasing.

Now I know it was basically made to accept AR-compatible parts, so that is good. I have lots of that stuff laying around AND I am pretty familiar with it.

So, I got the trigger guard changed out, just had to get a bit more aggressive on the trigger guard rollpin. I made sure to support it well underneath, because as I mentioned above, it is plastic, so I didn't want it to break. With proper support and a few good whacks with a hammer, it came right out and I installed a new Magpul oversized trigger guard.

Comparison of before and after:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20131214_110224_zpsaca31273.jpg

[Broken External Image]

Slightly more functional, yes, but really I feel like it's just aesthetically more pleasing. I think I'll actually get one of those Seekins billet guards they have up at FBT. I've put two on my ARs so far and have quite a few more that need it, lol.

Anyways... just thought I'd update this a little, some pics and that way if anyone else were searching for the same thing, it would be here.

Cheers!

And the obligatory wide shots:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20131215_113945_zpsac1c0e6b.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20131215_113858_zpsc65c94e1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom