Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The beans are up but they are hurting for some more rain. I guess the sprinkler is going to get pressed into action tomorrow. Next weekend I am heading to Nebraska on business and will pick up a harrow from a buddy that has an extra one. I really need one to properly get the soybeans planted although a drill would be better. The deer are nipping off the tops already.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The beans are withering from lack of rain. The sprinkler has been busy maintaining the clover plots and the deer are munching clover and bedding in it. I have not seen any fawns yet, but I have found at least one tiny bed in the clover. COME ON RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good ole biggun would work wonders right now on the clover and the beans. I am afraid that the beans are going to be unable to outgrow the grass and may get choked out. A buddy in Nebraska is donating a harrow to me and I will pick it up this weekend. I may experiment with a little patch of ground and put the beans in with the harrow and see how it does. I know it will work, I just want to see for myself in anticipation for fall planting. I'll send you a PM on the picnic.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My whitetail clover is getting watered and the deer are bedding down in it during the night and eating the clover from their beds. Nothing like a cool bed with some fresh tender greens to snack on. Beans gonna get watered tomorrow. Pray for some more rain.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My clover gets almost daily watering and it no longer will stand up due to excessive soil temps. The deer are pounding it because every thing else is toast and it is only June. GEEZ the temps have got to break. Farm ponds will start dying off soon in this heat. I expect 1 lake will die again. I would suggest fellas that you start some supplemental feeeding of your deer. The browse is shriveling and the protein level is plummeting and they could use some help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom