Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
kind of late for a winter plot. What is a good spring mix that will Grow thru summer? Would a mix of Peas and Alfalfa work?

Yep too late by a couple months on a "normal" year. I was jumping forward to next fall already with a recommendation. Your rainfall is twice what I get over here, beans, peas, and alfalfa should thrive provided the soil is acceptable. Don't overlook milo as an option, planted in June, should be ready by September, left to stand for feed throughout the fall.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its been a couple of years ago, but I went to my local COOP, and when I said I wanted to buy some cowpeas, I got a big blank stare.

lol dennis ya that happens farmers do'nt seem to use them alot,we use to plant them and use them like a crib feeder for bigger calves that where on the cow in the late summer an early fall on most of our places we had culivation for wheat in spring we would plant to cowpeas and raise hotwire around them up so calves could go under it but not the cows,then in fall we worked it up and plant to wheat or rye.calves done better,ground got some added nitr and i got some place to deer hunt

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, that sucks.

I was at my hunting area today. Neither food plot has produced. One has came up with the seed that I drilled, and died. Drilled again and it is now dead.
One good thing about it, when coming up on the feeder in both places there was a pretty good sized covey of quail around each feeder. Interesting/encouraging to see this time of year.
Think I'll let them go un-hunted this year. The ground nesters aren't having a good year.

Erickmelo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
but the key factor is the fertility of soil one must grow that crop only which is suitable to the present soil otherwise you may not get the good result as you are deserving......

Latest posts

Top Bottom