Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Erickmelo - You are correct but you must do your homework before planting first to determine your soil conditions. When you review your test results then you either remediate the soil or plant whatever will grow under those set of conditions. I work with landowners and assist them in determining what is best for their soil and remediate where necessary. I assisted a wheat farmer in 2012 and increased his yield by 46% and saved him $120/acre on fertilizer. He simply started a program to restore his soil, increased his fertility and begin remediating the effects of salt water contamination due to drilling. He did this and saved $120/acre on fertilizer plus increased the yield. This study was reported in a national magazine.
deerslayer,
what is it he did to get that result? I'd guess he started rotating beans in but thats no option out here.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This past weekend I hired my neighbor who has a D-5 dozer with a 6 way blade come over to my farm. He cleared a 20' swath of trees and brush away from my fenceline on part of my property in preparation for a controlled burn. Yesterday morning I lit up approx 15 - 20 acres of timber and really cleared some brush and downed timber. This,in my opinion, is the most cost effective and efficient way to remove unwanted brush, vines, deadheads, and debris. The ash returns the nutrients to the soil to promote additional forage for the game. I gained a new food plot due to removing all of the mentioned items. When the cedars are killed moisture is left to aid the remaining plant life. Yes some of these big cedars, when they go up in flames, do kill some trees which further opens the canopy allowing additional sunlight to hit the forest floor. This new sunlight stimulates forage production. The fire opens up the forest floor so that you can see the deer and pigs but it also turns the area into a park like setting. OSU produced a video several years ago on the use of fire for wildlife. In the video the narrator stated that a controlled burn on 4 year intervals was ideal for deer management. Bobwhite quail management reccommended annual burning. One nice benefit of a burn is that alot of the greenbriar is temporarily removed. Greenbriar or smilax is a high protein source for the deer and they will browse on the tips. The briar will return in the Spring and start the cycle over again. I was very pleased with the end result. A neighbor adjacent to me lit up 40 acres mid morning and WOOOOOOO DOGGGGGGGGGGIEEESSSSSS, he sent up some smoke signals now. There were some tense moments on a few big cedars on our border.
One small area on the property was so dense that it was difficult to get lit and burn. It may take 2 more burns to get it cleared so that it can be turned into a food plot or left in grass for bedding. I still will have a couple more areas to burn this month to complete my objective. The wildlife will certainly benefit from the effort.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's controlled burn time for sure. If mother nature cooperates, I'll be starting on mine and helping the neighbor with his. Get it done before the ground nesting birds start nesting. Slowly getting the pond dug out. I sure could have used that dozer for a day. My 35hp mahindra and front loader takes awhile, but it's coming along nicely.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just given a 2 bottom plow with a 3 point hookup to do some field renovations along with a toolbar and a couple JD planters. This is handy to bury the noxious weeds and start over periodically. This Spring several fields will be overhauled and planted in red ripper cowpeas to boost the available nitrogen and to provide highly drought tolerant forage for the deer. This is cost effective because you are providing forage and the peas will fix additional nitrogen in the soil. The deer will have high protein forage during the critical 200 days of antler development too. A year round program will certainly keep the kids close when it comes to hunting season, both 2 footed and 4 footed. Keep em close and they won't get in trouble.:clap3:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Those 2 bottoms are nice, I was given one last year as well, tried it last year but the ground was too hard, I found every weak weld that it had:D What kind of planters did you score?

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
John Deer, I think. I have a friend in Nebraska that said he had a couple at his farm that I could Have if they were JD. If so, then that would give me 4, assuming they were all there and worked. Hope,hope,hope.

Latest posts

Top Bottom