Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I disc'd up my plots this past weekend. They weren't bad, not many weeds. The soil was in good shape with a couple of spots too wet to run the tractor over. Had some standing water at one end of one of the plots. I'm going to try to get seed in the ground a little earlier this year to take advantage of the spring rains. Hopefully it will get some roots established before the heat of the summer.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check the soil temperature with a inexpensive temperature probe and if it is not at least 60 degs then little will happen if you plant now. You are approx 30 days to green up.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not gonna plant yet but just get the plots ready. Last year I was a little late getting seed on the ground due to schedule conflicts. I'm looking at probably the end of March-first week of April depending on the weather.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so I am thinking that this weekend I will take new soil samples and do my first disking to turn the ground. then when I get the soil results back I will administer whatever is necessary for soil prep and till again. then wait a week or two and do my planting. does that sound like a resonable plan?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
so I am thinking that this weekend I will take new soil samples and do my first disking to turn the ground. then when I get the soil results back I will administer whatever is necessary for soil prep and till again. then wait a week or two and do my planting. does that sound like a resonable plan?

Not sure what you're wanting to plant, but I'd make sure your soil temp is up and that you're going to be safe from a freeze. Three weeks out would only be early/mid March, could be iffy on the freeze? Won't hurt the seed in the ground, but should you get some germination, it could set it back or worse. Looks like March 30th on average for OKC. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=climate-freeze-okc

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what you're wanting to plant, but I'd make sure your soil temp is up and that you're going to be safe from a freeze. Three weeks out would only be early/mid March, could be iffy on the freeze? Won't hurt the seed in the ground, but should you get some germination, it could set it back or worse. Looks like March 30th on average for OKC. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=climate-freeze-okc

thanks for the tip. I am usually running behind getting things done so if I plan to do it early I might get it done on time for once. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom