Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even as hot and dry as it has been, the peas are still doing great. If I get the rain they are calling for on Sunday, I will be in real good shape.

View attachment 491705
Looks great! I need to try something for the summer. Mid May the clover was good. Now, horse nettle has taken over.
1000005236.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Looks great! I need to try something for the summer. Mid May the clover was good. Now, horse nettle has taken over. View attachment 491921

Nettle is usually a sign of poor soil conditions or in the case of pastures, it's often compaction issues. 24D will kill the nettle, but will really yellow your clover for a while. If it's dry and your clover is stressed at all, the clover may not survive the 24D. Do a soil test and see what going on down there and see what it's lacking. Clover is kind of like bermuda in the fact that the better your stand of bermuda is the less weeds you'll have. Will the exception of crabgrass and Johnson grass of course.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nettle is usually a sign of poor soil conditions or in the case of pastures, it's often compaction issues. 24D will kill the nettle, but will really yellow your clover for a while. If it's dry and your clover is stressed at all, the clover may not survive the 24D. Do a soil test and see what going on down there and see what it's lacking. Clover is kind of like bermuda in the fact that the better your stand of bermuda is the less weeds you'll have. Will the exception of crabgrass and Johnson grass of course.
What about 2,4 DB(butyrac) instead? It will kill the chicory but shouldn't hurt the clover from what I'm reading.

Powder Monkey

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Have a great big pile of SD cards on my desk pulled from last years cameras, and was going to start going through those to see what pics go to the "save" folder, and then delete a trainload of junk pics of birds, squirrels, does, possums, pigs, coons, etc.

BUT... rather than accomplish anything that useful, i did some nosing around in my folders of various pix from our plots.

I rarely maintain summer plots; about August/September we usually scalp fields & break ground in preparation of fall plots. If the fields are not overly thatched/overgrown sometime to save time we'll broadcast seed into unworked fields, usually a wheat/rye grain blend, overseeded with annual clover. Then the field gets scalped as low as the mower will go, and i call it good. Probably don't get quite as much germination as proper tillage would provide, but it also seems to not ring the dinner bell for herds of pigs that want to know why the ground is scratched up, which then hang out on my place.

In crappy soils i'll often go heavy on the Rye, in better soils i'll lean more heavily towards wheat. Deer eat it either way. No beans for me, due to deer density, we've found bean plots less than 5-10 acres are stripped clean well before deer season.

Most years i burn in the spring...no burns this year, was always too wet, too wet, or too busy doing tedious things like working. So, i suspect i'll spend a lot more time mowing this fall. And, that makes me suspect i will be a bit late in getting my jungle mowed & prepped for seeding, since i also don't like mowing in miserable heat of August.

Eye in the sky, watching me work plots....Google has caught me twice now working food plots:

lcQi4sk.jpg

Same spot, after seed pops a bit:
fwuvX5s.jpg

With some more growth on it:
BHAN0jY.jpg

Same spot, after hogs move in & wipe the whole damn thing out:
9IFXV5r.jpg

Hogs, after we find out they wiped out all that work:
G8kNoEW.jpg

up3zAIb.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom