For all you folks who missed out on the Sig P6 Surplus guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually - this good condition 228 might be a much better deal at $479 now that I think about it (those 225 fair-condition guns are pretty rough for that price - if they didn't have the heal-mag release, I might jump on one since I miss my P6 - I do want another 228 for the wife to carry though):

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p228-9mm-used-good-condition.html

[Broken External Image]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are they in size compared to like a G19 or a Beretta 92?

Honestly, I don't have a Beretta to compare to (and its been a loooooong time since I've shot one), but they're not that bad.

The Glock 19's squared grip makes it seem bulkier to me but I think the 228's is actually right at the same or just a hair thicker, and the slide-stop and decocker stick out a bit farther making for the over-all width on the Sig to be wider (on paper). But the feel is soooooo much better than the G19 to me (and I carried a G19 for a long time - I've got absolutely no issues with it).

You get only 13rds instead of 15, but that also makes it lighter and while I'm not always a "lighter is better" kind of guy, at a certain point, if you're doing any major amount of moving around in the heat, a G19 with 16rds in it is pretty damn heavy.

I'm of course comparing mine with a rail on it and some extra material on the trigger guard (a tiny bit), so I would imagine that the non-railed 228s are even lighter (and they are German-made slides/frames).

You'll have some Swiss import marks on these, so if that bothers you, I'd look at a different route, but everything I've heard about these older all-German made Sigs is absolutely true now that I own one.

I may have just talked myself into getting another for the wife...

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some nice 228's available right now. They are new, non-rail, rounded trigger guard, night sights, short trigger. They are all German guns. What has kept me from buying one is that they have a SAS frame, it just doesn't seem right without a SAS slide. I wonder if Sig had extra 229 SAS frames and 228 slides??? Kind of a factory FrankinSig.

And yeah, I realize this thread is about surplus guns but I drifted a bit.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some nice 228's available right now. They are new, non-rail, rounded trigger guard, night sights, short trigger. They are all German guns. What has kept me from buying one is that they have a SAS frame, it just doesn't seem right without a SAS slide. I wonder is Sig had extra 229 SAS frames and 228 slides??? Kind of a factory FrankinSig.

And yeah, I realize this thread is about surplus guns but I drifted a bit.

You're killing me man. As much as I already regret that once again, one of your posts might have just caused me to spend more money, I have to ask... where did you see this? Because that sounds pretty friggin awesome.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw one at Sports World, Top Gun has them in stock.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p228-9mm-nitron-siglite-night-sights-da-sa-no-rail.html
Zoom the TG picture and take a close look at the frame.

After you buy one of these, I will tell you about my new 239 Gen II SAS.:thumb:

Woa - I just glanced past that very same gun and didn't realize that it was a modern-day SAS frame (thought it was expensive at first and I was wondering how they got a "new" 228 with no rail). That's pretty nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom