For home defense, handgun mounted white light, or handgun with hand held white light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well do you prefer blondes or brunettes? (redheads are for those with a death wish, but they are pretty)

Seriously, you'll get the various responses. Some will say it's bad to have it on your gun because the BG's will shoot at the light or you'll point your gun at your kids. Others will say that you'll be able to shoot faster and more accurately with both hands properly on the gun, and that using the spill from the light is enough to ID a potential threat without pointing the gun at them before you decide to fire.

I do prefer a WML, but only with a pressure activated switch. This allows manipulation of phones, doors, non-combatants, etc. with one hand while leaving the other free to operate both gun and light. The best of both worlds is...well...both! The whole "Two is one and one is none." applies at home as well as away. Another thought to consider is having a handheld availabe to strategically place where the beam is on a choke point, while you hide in the shadows and away from the light. That way the BG's are blinded by the light and you still have both hands on the gun.

It's a personal choice and if possible, you should try both before deciding.

Phildo64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally have never bought the whole "The bad guy will shoot at your light crap" He shouldnt be able to shoot your WML, because you should be overwelming him with violence of action. That's my take. Have somebody hit you with an X300 in a low light situation, you wont be have'n fun, also remember that behind that light is a barrel that should be sending rounds at you. :twocents:

WML FTW!! Or BOTH!!

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use this.

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_17_u4ume3u6.jpg

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that on a Glock , I heard they cause frame breakage, from the frame not being able to flex.

Both is a good answer.

Only thing I've heard regarding this wasn't frame breakage, it had to do with older .40(?) Glocks not cycling due to no frame flex.

That said... I ran a TLR-1 on the same G19 for 38k rounds with only 2 malfunctions, both stove pipes due to me limp wristing.

I say go Streamlight TLR-1 or Surefire X300. With preference to the X300, your budget will make your decision though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom