Weapon light or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1674067525570.png

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
posted this how to years ago ..

now days super bright LED lights with hot spot are common
if one can adjust hot spot to match open sight's point of impact

then one can aim and illuminate/ID night threats .. at the same time.
not aware of any weapons light mfg with adjustments

how I achieved LED adjustments is to use a Surefire weapons light with a light bulb. then insert a drop-in LED assembly. since it's all but impossible to mfg LED drop-in with perfect center. hot spot will be slightly off-center.

simply rotate LED drop-in until hot spot matches point of impact of your iron sights.

now you have a night weapon that shoots exactly where hot spot of light points to.

then one can aim and illuminate/ID night threats .. at the same time.

here's a good example of what can be done creating a night duty weapons light. that also functions well during day in all but brightest conditions. unlike laser being next to useless in bright sun for aiming.

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing worse than this topic of conversation are the responses.

I think El Pablo's post hit the nail on the head. Add in trying to move/shield a loved one, open a door, or grapple with a second threat and it only becomes more clear.

That being said: While I have a WML on all of my HD guns as well as my truck pistol, I also have a backup flashlight for the house because two is one, and one is none when Mr. Murphy joins the fight.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing worse than this topic of conversation are the responses.

I think El Pablo's post hit the nail on the head. Add in trying to move/shield a loved one, open a door, or grapple with a second threat and it only becomes more clear.

That being said: While I have a WML on all of my HD guns as well as my truck pistol, I also have a backup flashlight for the house because two is one, and one is none when Mr. Murphy joins the fight.

This... if you have kids..... WML makes sense.... you will likely need an arm to deal with kids, wife, dogs or all of the above.

Some of the other folks might need some low light classes to keep from shooting everything they point at.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My bedside pistol has a TLR-1HL, and also has night sights.
My "hand to the wife" bedside revolver does not, because I haven't figured out a good way to rail a 4" S&W without replacing it.
My HD rifle has a TLR-1HL.
My Mossberg 500 had a TLR-1HL.
My varmint 22 has a TLR-1HL.
My competition pistol has a TLR-1HL (yes it does help with that muzzle rise).

I guess I'm solidly in the WML crowd.

I do keep a handheld Streamlight next to the pistol.
This was $29 open box on Amazon and I highly recommend it.
Streamlight 88030 ProTac 1L 275 Lumen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GXF9MW

I have two Olight WMLs, one is a PL-2 Valkyrie 1200 lumen, but it seems to drain batteries just sitting there so I don't use it. The other is a PL-Mini 2 Valkyrie 600 Lumens that I got with a Glock 23 with some holsters made for it. I haven't tried carrying with it but the magnetic charging is highly rated among some friends that also own them.

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
This... if you have kids..... WML makes sense.... you will likely need an arm to deal with kids, wife, dogs or all of the above.

Some of the other folks might need some low light classes to keep from shooting everything they point at.

This. I knew shooting with a WML was easier than the old 'copper grip, but after taking a class that included night shooting the WML was like a cheat code vs using a handheld.

And the answer is "BOTH!" I almost always have multiple flashlights on me. If I have a belt on I've got 3 + my phone light.

I do need to get a WML for my carry gun, but my HD guns have WMLs.

AppliedString1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every gun gets a light and you ought to always have a handheld, however, I think only a handheld isn't adequate enough. Im calling your bluff if you tell me you genuienly practice shooting a handgun in conjunction with a handheld light enough to be even midly proficient. Even so, an uncompromised grip (using a WML) is always going to be superior then a compromised grip (handheld)

Latest posts

Top Bottom