For home defense, handgun mounted white light, or handgun with hand held white light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with a weapon-mounted light as your only source of illumination is that you're pointing your gun at whatever you are illuminating, whether that is a bad guy, your wife, your dog, or your child. I have a light mounted on my Ruger Mini-14 but it is NOT my only light source.

ECS

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with a weapon-mounted light as your only source of illumination is that you're pointing your gun at whatever you are illuminating, whether that is a bad guy, your wife, your dog, or your child. I have a light mounted on my Ruger Mini-14 but it is NOT my only light source.

ECS

Not so. With proper equipment and training it is completely possible and practical to search for, illuminate, and identify your target without aiming at the target.

This gun counter myth is in the same category of the "the sound of a racking shotgun is all you need".

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weapon light and stand alone in one...

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_04_18_7use8ama.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_04_18_uvanegu3.jpg

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not so. With proper equipment and training it is completely possible and practical to search for, illuminate, and identify your target without aiming at the target.

How many people putting a light on their home defense weapons are going to get that kind of training?

This gun counter myth is in the same category of the "the sound of a racking shotgun is all you need".

Nope.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many people putting a light on their home defense weapons are going to get that kind of training?

Those who want their firearm to be more than a talisman to ward off the bogeyman?

But that wasn't the point was it? You said you can't illuminate your target without pointing your firearm at the target. That is incorrect, which makes it a myth and/or a misconception just like racking a 12 ga.

Sorry if that comes off as blunt or rude...

Latest posts

Top Bottom