Found old 45acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mercury Fulminate primers were used untill 1954 to load G.I. ammo of any size. I must disagree with IDP4570 on this point. I shot a bunch of the old 40,s steel cased 45 ammo and unless cleaned right away with soap and water it sure would turn the bore brown. Left a day and it wasn't pretty...now I might be wrong, but my barrels say it was! kurtM

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mercury Fulminate primers were used untill 1954 to load G.I. ammo of any size. I must disagree with IDP4570 on this point. I shot a bunch of the old 40,s steel cased 45 ammo and unless cleaned right away with soap and water it sure would turn the bore brown. Left a day and it wasn't pretty...now I might be wrong, but my barrels say it was! kurtM

Disagree you may, but I do/did this for a living. If that was the case then there wouldn't be the quality examples of WWII US military firearms out there, cause most of those GI's on the front didn't have the time, or took the time to do any more than a quick wipe down and get back to it.

You may have run across some older 45acp ammo that had WWI era primers in them. We still have 1940's era ammo still being stored at several sites around the country. If it was harmful or corrosive it would have been destroyed years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom