Found old 45acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very well could have been, it was 42 head stamped. Maybe they were using anything they could find. I stand corrected. KurtM

Stubach

New to the site!
Reaction score
Fully understand this is a very old post and I’m not a qualified member but in case someone else comes across this thread. I can assure you that these ammo cans do contain corrosive primers. My dad purchased several of these cans surplus a few years back and finally busted on open a few years ago and enjoyed shooting and saving the military grade brass. He didn’t realize they were corrosive primers and neglected to clean his Clark Custom 1911 and 2 months later I visited to find his barrel completely lined with a thin layer of rust. Luckily no pitting occurred and I was able to save the firearm but please be wary of this stuff. Could make for a really bad day if your not careful.

side note: 1 in 10 roughly failed to ignite upon good primer strike. Great collector item or for brass but not the best ammo to rely on after all those years in storage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 59

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Fully understand this is a very old post and I’m not a qualified member but in case someone else comes across this thread. I can assure you that these ammo cans do contain corrosive primers. My dad purchased several of these cans surplus a few years back and finally busted on open a few years ago and enjoyed shooting and saving the military grade brass. He didn’t realize they were corrosive primers and neglected to clean his Clark Custom 1911 and 2 months later I visited to find his barrel completely lined with a thin layer of rust. Luckily no pitting occurred and I was able to save the firearm but please be wary of this stuff. Could make for a really bad day if your not careful.

side note: 1 in 10 roughly failed to ignite upon good primer strike. Great collector item or for brass but not the best ammo to rely on after all those years in storage.
Welcome stubach. Thanks for the info. I’m sure others will appreciate it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom