Found this article in the Summer of 1975 Issue Soldier of Fortune.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has there ever been a war we pulled out of that ended the way we want?

We had to leave VN, we had to leave Korea, we had to leave Iraq and we had to leave Afghanistan which begs the question; is there ever a right way to leave a war before the war is over?

Since 1953 the US has maintained a sizable presence in the South and on the DMZ. We are far from gone in Korea and the war is still in progress, there is only a cease fire . I and many others have served in South Korea in the years since the cease fire was signed . Factually speaking both sides still are firing shots on an infrequent basis. There have been numerous incidents involving US troops as well as ROK troops over the years .

I can't say we were forced out of Korea but I can also can't say we won either . We could have maintained South Vietnam just like we've done South Korea but I assure you we would still be there on the DMZ just like South Korea , the difference being there was an indigenous insurgency we didn't have to deal with in South Korea.

For those who don't know about these incidents take a watch they are very interesting tidbits of history

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score

We had to leave VN, we had to leave Korea, we had to leave Iraq and we had to leave Afghanistan which begs the question; is there ever a right way to leave a war before the war is over?
The older i get, the more complicated things get! Is anyone better off because we interfered in other nations business? Is allowing a rogue regime to become a super power, a good idea? I used to know these things when I was younger, but have forgotten I guess?

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems we did the same thing to the Afghanistan's who helped us when our President 'Joe Biden, rushed us out of Afghanistan.
But it was back then it was President Ford and his administration who just as we did in Afghanistan, packed up and abandoned the South Vietnamese who had helped us.
In Fords words the Biden voted to "CUT AND RUN" Biden didnt listen to Fords warnings of Chaos and Disaster. The warnings proved to be dead-on-accurate!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first night I stood watch in Great Lakes, Ill, there was a fellow about my age (18) that was on watch with me. His family had fled Vietnam in 1975 and he had a lot to say about our leaving.

He was glad to be in the US and grateful for the opportunities to be sure - but his thoughts on us pulling the plug like we did were not kind, and I don't blame him.

Something we shouldn't have been in to start with, half-assed for years, then abandoned the folks we had involved ourselves with.
You can thank our good old congress for their mealy mouthed, do nothing, can't bomb here where the targets are, political bullsh!T!! With our firepower and our tactics after learning the VC and Chicom way, we could have laid waste to the North Vietnamese so bad they would have agreed to sit down at a card table instead of bichin about the shape of it.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can thank our good old congress for their mealy mouthed, do nothing, can't bomb here where the targets are, political bullsh!T!! With our firepower and our tactics after learning the VC and Chicom way, we could have laid waste to the North Vietnamese so bad they would have agreed to sit down at a card table instead of bichin about the shape of it.

We did lay waste to them and while we were there they never recovered their original strength. Both TET Offensives and the later Line Backer II bombing campaigns destroyed the North's ability to wage war. Had congress funded the 1:1 replacement agreement which was part of the Paris Peace Accord the North would never have been able to take the South .

When they stopped funding the equipment replacement and keeping advisors on the ground it gave the North the breathing room they needed to rebuild from 73-75 and take the South.

Our military had solid success and defeated the VC and NVA completely on the battlefield. We had too many people at home like Walter Cronkite who were spinning the truth and not talking about the success , only how effective the VC and NVA had been . Vietnam was a massive departure from how we allowed reporters to participate in warfare . Had the military used the WWII model to control what was reported more things might have been significantly different at home .

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did lay waste to them and while we were there they never recovered their original strength. Both TET Offensives and the later Line Backer II bombing campaigns destroyed the North's ability to wage war. Had congress funded the 1:1 replacement agreement which was part of the Paris Peace Accord the North would never have been able to take the South .

When they stopped funding the equipment replacement and keeping advisors on the ground it gave the North the breathing room they needed to rebuild from 73-75 and take the South.

Our military had solid success and defeated the VC and NVA completely on the battlefield. We had too many people at home like Walter Cronkite who were spinning the truth and not talking about the success , only how effective the VC and NVA had been . Vietnam was a massive departure from how we allowed reporters to participate in warfare . Had the military used the WWII model to control what was reported more things might have been significantly different at home .
Agreed. As I remember, it was only about body count. Every day the body count was given on the evening news.

We saw the same if not worse reporting during the gulf war. There were reports of journalists waiting on beaches for the seals to arrive so they could ask their ubiquitous question, "How do you feel about ...?"

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something we shouldn't have been in to start with, half-assed for years, then abandoned the folks we had involved ourselves with.
All done by the politicians, not the military. Keep that in mind. The military could and should have easily won that war but the micro managing by LBJ and McNamara caused the war to go way beyond where it should have gone in length.

The first major proposal of peace from North Vietnam came from North Vietnamese premier Pham Van Dong in April 1965. Pham’s four-point plan called for a return to the provisions of the Geneva Accords of 1954, along with the withdrawal of US military personnel, yet the United
States ignored it.

LBJ and McNamara personally caused thousands of American lives and wounded by mismanagement and not knowing how wars should be fought, not to say about falsely starting that war with the Gulf of Tonkin Incident that never happened.
McNamara has since publicly apologized for his part in engineering that war. Probably thinking this would keep him out of the gates of hell. I hope it doesn't.
Also, the South Vietnamese government was totally corrupt as well as most of the ARVN troop commanders. The individual soldiers were great fighters at times but their command for the most part was worthless. Easily searchable on the internet.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

We are still in Korea and it's just a cease fire situation. I drew hazardous duty pay when stationed there in the 70's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom