Found this article in the Summer of 1975 Issue Soldier of Fortune.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the rub , its impossible to fight and win a limited war where you don't fully commit to winning . We won WWII because we embraced total war. America has not fought a total war since 1945 and American politicians have incorrectly come to the belief we can just drop a few bombs and then leave , and more importantly the American public doesn't and hasn't support on a large scale war since then.

A lot of folks don't really understand there was an anti war movement in WWII it was small compared to what would happen later on but none the less it was there and yes it was growing by the end of 1945.

I do not know what it would take for us to win a massive conflict in this day and age given this limited warfare philosphy we have adopted in the last 70 years or so .
It used to be easy to win a war before Obama if you let the military run the war according to the rules of how you win one, but the politicians with their donors can't let that happen because they need to be reelected no matter how many military folks are killed and maimed for life.
Obama fired over 50 General officers that didn't support his politics leaving us with the WOKE pieces of shat we have leading the military now that are more concerned with gender reassignments than they are winning a conflict should we get into another one which may be likely if they have their way in the Ukraine.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are still in Korea and it's just a cease fire situation. I drew hazardous duty pay when stationed there in the 70's.
It is my understanding that now, it (Korea) is recognized as something along the lines of a "hostile fire area".
I don't think that you get hazardous duty pay any longer, no matter what part of the country you are in, that stopped a long time ago, but it isn't considered the same as say Germany.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems we did the same thing to the Afghanistan's who helped us when our President 'Joe Biden, rushed us out of Afghanistan.
But it was back then it was President Ford and his administration who just as we did in Afghanistan, packed up and abandoned the South Vietnamese who had helped us.

When they packed up and abandoned the people in Afghanistan in the 80s, guess who we were working with? Ol Osama bin Ladan. And because our countries leaders abandoned them, we took an ally, and made him into an enemy. In 20 or 30 years I wonder how many more terrorists we will have made by screwing over somebody that was an ally

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It used to be easy to win a war before Truman if you let the military run the war according to the rules of how you win one, but the politicians with their donors can't let that happen because they need to be reelected no matter how many military folks are killed and maimed for life.

Fixed it for you . Truman started the current trend we see now with the Korean War

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Desert Shield/ Desert Storm
Nope! I was there, and Saddam was still running Iraq when we left. Once again, political considerations trumped common sense. My very young cousins wound up going back to help finish that, and one of them died doing it. We need a much better grade of politician. I believe that only veterans should hold office now. And there are very few in Congress and higher offices in our cities and states these days. The number of combat veterans is even smaller. I'm not a combat veteran, myself. REMF, more like.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New offensive/defensive military systems, or upgrades to older military systems, MUST be tested in real-world battlefield conditions, as opposed to the more typical 'controlled' testing done by the manufacturers themselves, in order to ensure that their new creations are actually 'war viable'.

To accomplish this arms manufacturers spend huge amounts of money in order to convince our politicians that occasional 'proxy wars' are needed to test these 'new systems', or upgrades to older systems, and that such testing is necessary for the security of our own country.

Of course being able to supply 'battlefield quantities' worth of arms and equipment does not hurt the bottom-line of these manufacturers, and is another reason 'proxy wars' are advocated for every few years.

Broncos

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope! I was there, and Saddam was still running Iraq when we left. Once again, political considerations trumped common sense. My very young cousins wound up going back to help finish that, and one of them died doing it. We need a much better grade of politician. I believe that only veterans should hold office now. And there are very few in Congress and higher offices in our cities and states these days. The number of combat veterans is even smaller. I'm not a combat veteran, myself. REMF, more like.

Broncos

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was there too and all missions were met Bush and Powell were right I believe If Hussein had been removed we would have extended the war due to the ensuing holy war over Iraq At the time I tholike you Now we know Bush jr really did not have the correct intelligence to go back in

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since 1953 the US has maintained a sizable presence in the South and on the DMZ. We are far from gone in Korea and the war is still in progress, there is only a cease fire . I and many others have served in South Korea in the years since the cease fire was signed . Factually speaking both sides still are firing shots on an infrequent basis. There have been numerous incidents involving US troops as well as ROK troops over the years .

I can't say we were forced out of Korea but I can also can't say we won either . We could have maintained South Vietnam just like we've done South Korea but I assure you we would still be there on the DMZ just like South Korea , the difference being there was an indigenous insurgency we didn't have to deal with in South Korea.

For those who don't know about these incidents take a watch they are very interesting tidbits of history

...........We didn't win in Korea, but nether did NK, or Communist China! 70 odd years later just look at the difference in the standard of living between the Korean people, north, and south!! If that is not a decisive WIN, for the South, what would you call it? The same could be said of East and West Germany, right? I submit with communications, and infromation the way it is now, the poor people of North Korea, like the people of East Germany, WILL AT SOME POINT STAND UP AND SAY, ENOUGH, IS ENOUGH! FEAR IS THE ONLY THING STOPPING THAT NOW, AND I FOR ONE DON'T THINK THAT WILL PROVE TO BE ENOUGH! BOTH OF THESE EXAMPLES TOOK A LONG TIME AND COST MANY, MANY, LIVES, BUT THESE ISSUES ARE SETTLED PERMANENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just look at Ukraine, it seems they WILL NEVER SUBMIT TO COMMUNIST DOMINATION AGAIN, and that is a win for the human race!

Latest posts

Top Bottom