Garage door repair/metal, weld question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the bracket that mounts to the garage door panel literally rip out of the panel and take a torn sheet of metal from the panel with it. I want to do a repair without having to replace the entire panel ( it is a heavy custom garage door with custom exterior trim). My idea was to put a sheet of metal over top of the "hole" in the door panel (about 6" across) and then use self-tappers to secure the new sheet of metal to the door panel. THEN, re-screw down the door lift bracket to the new panel. I also think some welds on the bracket to secure it to the new repair sheet would make it stronger but I'm not a welder. If NOT using welds (which I prefer to avoid), I would rather user a ice sheet of diamond plat for the repair, but that is aluminum so I don't think that would be easy to weld.

So my questions are, do I NEED welds or will self tapping screws work?

Also, WHAT KIND OF MATERIAL AND HOW THICK should be sued as the "cover plate over the damaged door panel???

I went to Lowes to get just some mile steel plate and they had a million selections of thickness, hot rolled, cold rolled, etc...I had no idea how thick or what kind? So that is where I was just thinking dome diamond plate since the garage door panel itself is probably just thin aluminum skinned anyway. I can get pics of the damage if that will help you guys help me?

Thanks

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based off my luck. I’d call someone to come replace it. At our old place I tried fixing one. What happened was it was old and kept breaking. I’d fix it. A couple months later it’d break again. It finally broke ugly and feel on my wife’s car.

Last one we bought a new door and got the boys to replace it.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was me i would sandwich 2 sheets of metal on the panel and bolt the bracket back in place. making sure the new pieces was big enough to get a large overlap of the bad area.
Is that to make it thicker?

There are some thick plates available so just wondering?

Thx

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any pictures?

If I understand correctly where the opener mounts to the top door panel broke loose?

Most residential garage door panels don't have very thick sheeting. If a door is out of alignment or has a lot of friction from wheels dragging the opener can tear the door panel sheeting.

If one just uses self tapping screws to secure another piece of metal over the sheeting, it will just be a matter of time before it pulls loose again.

The one fellow mentioned using a piece of metal on the inside and outside to sandwich the door panel where the opener mounts. The outside piece spreads ths footprint out over a wider area to help provide more strength.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Without seeing the problem, I would consider switching panels…that is putting the offending panel in the bottom or middle and using one of the good panels to replace the broken one.
I was about to have the same problem but the guy that replaced a spring caught it and put a brace on the door. I think it cost around $29.00.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom