Gardens 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20240520_213140.jpg
    20240520_213140.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some questions for the experts on plant identification

This year was my first garden ever --- i got really scientific -- i saw seeds in packs on sale for 40% off at Atwods and bought a bunch --- ripped up a couple of spots on my land with my tiller and proceeded to put seeds in the ground and water occasionally and wait

---- not much rhyme or reason but i thought it would be fun to be surprised , but i know i put down a bunch of miscellaneous pepper and tomato seeds

This is my original spot -- i do not know what the largish growth in the center is but i have identified cilantro positively towards the bottom 1/3 of the screen left -- miscellaneous other things sprouting up in there too slowly -- but also sprouting up is a large red ant nest i wasnt aware of when i tilled -- so i am guessing they have had a fun time underground with most of my new crop

Raaf1wLl.jpg

D2pJ0oml.jpg

2hBfUVtl.jpg

Moved to a second spot with no ants thats a little better managed due to buying little plants already a couple of inches high in the plastic cups and planting them - squash already starting to show itself here thankfully but my basil plant is looking puny

yd9JyPXl.jpg

qUU9ruUl.jpg

Unknowns -- as mentioned - i didnt do this in a very organized fashion but am really trying to salvage some of this mess --- any ideas on what any of these are

T3yy1wfl.jpg

y4o8iOxl.jpg

These are 2 good size plants growing next to each other but with different leaves - i think one of them may be squash, but i had paackets of watermelon seeds, green onions, tomatos and all kinds of good stuff thinking i was really going to do some homesteadin'

NaNKrnjl.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input

--- The clueless gardener

At least i have cilantro ! -- may need to make some street tacos this weekend !

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy has a pretty organized garden on one side of his place, with a 15 acre pasture on the other side. Does a round-up spray on the 15 acres when things get growing and waits a couple weeks before planting.
He takes a middle buster behind the tractor, cuts a rut, throws in seed and waits to see what grows.
By harvest, it's typically overgrown in pig weed and whatever weeds get growing out there, but we always get tons of watermelon, pumpkin and whatever else gets thrown in there.
As an experiment, he planted pinto beans. Went to the nursery, saw bean seeds were $5 for a cup of seeds, so went to Dollar General two blocks away and bought a pound of pinto beans for a buck.
Every one of them germinated and are currently growing.
So, we both have a question. Can pinto beans be picked in the pod and eaten like green beans, or is it best to wait until the pods dry and get dried pinto beans to eat?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We did not plant much this year because of health issues but we did some. A Roma tomato, cherry tomato, some green beans and the wife wanted to try a sweet potato.

Tomato plants are looking good, green beans are coming up and a sweet potato plant seems to be doing okay. None of the Marigolds we planted have popped up yet.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy has a pretty organized garden on one side of his place, with a 15 acre pasture on the other side. Does a round-up spray on the 15 acres when things get growing and waits a couple weeks before planting.
He takes a middle buster behind the tractor, cuts a rut, throws in seed and waits to see what grows.
By harvest, it's typically overgrown in pig weed and whatever weeds get growing out there, but we always get tons of watermelon, pumpkin and whatever else gets thrown in there.
As an experiment, he planted pinto beans. Went to the nursery, saw bean seeds were $5 for a cup of seeds, so went to Dollar General two blocks away and bought a pound of pinto beans for a buck.
Every one of them germinated and are currently growing.
So, we both have a question. Can pinto beans be picked in the pod and eaten like green beans, or is it best to wait until the pods dry and get dried pinto beans to eat?

LLOL-- that was close to my thoughts

I want to be like the folks with the nice cultivated rows , or the great looking box beds and all that --- but on the other hand -- i have a "Just Send It " mentality too because im a single middle aged male who lacks direction

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LLOL-- that was close to my thoughts

I want to be like the folks with the nice cultivated rows , or the great looking box beds and all that --- but on the other hand -- i have a "Just Send It " mentality too because im a single middle aged male who lacks direction
I think the pronoun minimalist comes to mind.
People foraged for food since the beginning of time.
Some have evolved into gardeners with perfect areas that I really admire for all the work that goes into them. I strived to be like them over the years with my gardens, but it's kind of fun to just throw some stuff out there and see what happens.
Last summer I got a big bag of sunflower seeds and another big bag of bird seed that is a mix of everything, put it into the drill behind the tractor to plant and see what happened.
Ended up being kind of a bust as the Johnsson grass took over and buddy wanted to kill it before it went to seed.
Don't know if the johnson grass seed was in the bagged seed or what.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grow a garden because I want to be a little more independent than relying on someone else. I also want to know that there isn't any chemicals on it. We do canning, freezing, dehydrated and freeze dried preservation. We grow most of what we like to eat. I alternate things like beans, corn and cowpeas . I grow a lot of one or two and can enough to last a couple years then grow a lot of something else the next year and can enough of it to last a couple years.

Since it is just the two of us , this works for us. We live a pretty simple life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom