General Tools questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just a Steve's this weekend, they have a ton of stuff. I was just there picking up a couple small things (C-clamp and 1/2" drill bit) but their prices seem fair.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just don't buy a oilless compressor. They don't last very long.

Funny, I hate oil less compressors for the shop, but they are great for portable use. I have a Sanborn I bought brand new in 1989, it's still kicking today, it's probably driven a million nails. If you use them for the right application they will last a long time. They are not a shop compressor though, and won't stand up to the demands of high volume tools.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just don't buy a oilless compressor. They don't last very long.

I have a portable oilless compressor that is still going after 35 years. It'll run 3 roofing nail guns at onetime,etc. I've had to replace the pressure regulator and pop-off valve but that's it. All I do is drain the tank to keep the condensation out.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good quality oilless will last you a decade or more, as long you take decent care of it and are not using it non-stop daily. They are not built for that, they are designed for light-duty use.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good quality oilless will last you a decade or more, as long you take decent care of it and are not using it non-stop daily. They are not built for that, they are designed for light-duty use.

Spot on, but folks buy them as a shop compressor, then try to push them to do too much. I did, tried a Cman 33 gallon one, cheaped out instead of buying a good compressor, thing was so freaking LOUD. Ended up buying the good compressor eventually, the one I have now keeps up with any air demand in my shop including the media blast cabinet with no problem and you can have a conversation standing next to it as it is VERY quiet.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spot on, but folks buy them as a shop compressor, then try to push them to do too much. I did, tried a Cman 33 gallon one, cheaped out instead of buying a good compressor, thing was so freaking LOUD. Ended up buying the good compressor eventually, the one I have now keeps up with any air demand in my shop including the media blast cabinet with no problem and you can have a conversation standing next to it as it is VERY quiet.

Yep, like I said in my earlier post, a regular budget compressor will work for basic hobby stuff, but if you want to really work it, you need a better unit.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How big of an ac to run a small paint sprayer and an air wrench or socket. Occasional use, not a mechanic or professional. What price range and what brand?

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on what you are spraying. A 5hp 20 gal should handle most air tools, but paint takes a lot of air, and you will quickly drop the tank down below the useable range fast. 80 gallon would be better, but you are also talking a lot more dough. I did a lot of project with my 5hp 20 gal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom