Generator Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OK ... think Piedmont has hit the nail on the head.

Let me go find something else to use to pull a load ... lol

(BTW, that ShopVac pulls over 37 amps ... whudda thunk it?? Not me ...)

Thanks again for the help!

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We run Ground Power Units for aircraft regularly, think big generator on wheels. In order to keep them running properly, we have to load bank them periodically. After you flash the field, try to put a good load on it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GC,

Do you have the manual? Mine has a procedure to re-excite the magnets. There is more than one way to do it and they do work, but some methods are VERY dangerous. Once you get it powering again run it every couple of months with a load. Oh, my shop vac pulls about 40% on my 5500 watt generator, IIRC. They pull a real nice load on startup. I usually use that and a hair dryer. Loads it up pretty good.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm late to the party, but it doesn't sound like a demagnitized coil...since it's producing power but quitting under load.

Possibly a carb issue. How long has it sat with fuel in it? Could be gummed up, could need some tuning. Air filter dirty? Might be time for a cleaning.

(when you were running the blower, were you running the electric heating element too?)

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old Homelite sat for almost 3 years and didn't lose it's charge. It's pretty hard for that to happen I think despite their warnings to run it under load every month (that's the biggest reason why btw).

I agree with SMS that if it ran the drill initially, then that's likely not the issue. It sounds like when you put the bigger load on it is when it has issues and so it likely needs a bit of a tuneup.

I'd start with an oil change, fresh gas (drain the old via the petcock), check if it has a fuel filter too, new plug, clean air filter and shoot some carb cleaner in it too. Also make sure the choke and all of the linkages around the carb are working and moving freely too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom