Generator Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has to be a breaker or fuse somewhere in the generator. More than likely the shop vac was too large of a load. There MUST be an overcurrent device somewhere in that generator. Have you tried to restart the engine after it died? It may have stalled out due to the overload. Try to restart and plug in a smaller load. The shop vac uses too much current for that size of a generator. A rule of thumb for loading is volts times amps equalls watts.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There has to be a breaker or fuse somewhere in the generator. More than likely the shop vac was too large of a load. There MUST be an overcurrent device somewhere in that generator.

Wouldn't an overcurrent device/breaker just kill the power source? The engine itself is shutting down, which to me indicates a mechanical issue, not an electrical one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has to be 230v or 3 phase to carry that many amps. An industrial 3 Hp single phase motor pulls around 34 amps at full load. Start current is much higher, but is just momentary. 110 outlets are only rated for 15 amps unless you spec hospital grade. Then it's 20.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah, missed the part about the 37 amp draw on that shop vac....Damn GC, how big is your shop vac?

Errrr ... that was me and some formula for calculating something number he said he needed I found online so ... ahhhhh ... well ... I not gonna swear to it :lookaroun lol :teehee:

GC should be up in another hour or so and you guys have given him some things to look at. I printed off the owner's manual so he can look at it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really wasn't planning on buying another generator this month so if he can get it running again he will be HANDSOMELY rewarded -- several times! ;)

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old Homelite sat for almost 3 years and didn't lose it's charge. It's pretty hard for that to happen I think despite their warnings to run it under load every month (that's the biggest reason why btw).

I agree with SMS that if it ran the drill initially, then that's likely not the issue. It sounds like when you put the bigger load on it is when it has issues and so it likely needs a bit of a tuneup.

I'd start with an oil change, fresh gas (drain the old via the petcock), check if it has a fuel filter too, new plug, clean air filter and shoot some carb cleaner in it too. Also make sure the choke and all of the linkages around the carb are working and moving freely too.

This is why we periodically have to load bank our equipment. The generator/motor has to be 'cleaned' and the loading keeps them running properly.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The carburetor is probably gunked up.
Mine wouldn't carry a load properly or even run right unless I partially choked it because it wasn't getting enough gas.
When I took it apart it had a nasty greenish sludge all over the little holes inside.

Caused by ethanol no doubt.

If you partially engage the choke and it runs better then it's not getting enough gasoline.

Latest posts

Top Bottom