Glad it cooled off a little.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
They acted like fmj in my 308, sent them all into steel plates and won’t get more in that caliber.
Tried them out of my 7mm-08, .280 and .280AI and got the same results. Quite a range in velocities there too, and they poked a hole in and out that was .284 in diameter. I don't use them anymore.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of my shots at the place in the pic have been 210 to 240. I've been wanting an AR10 and was thinking about the 6.5CM.
The biggest problem I have with the grendel is I'm not setup to reload and I have to shoot what ammo I can find. Im low on SST and have been shooting the ELD.

That would just about put you into a Creed. 210 - 240 is definitely capable for the Grendel, but I do believe that the extra butt behind the larger 6.5 would serve you well.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve always heard that SST’s make a mess on game, but I’ve shot A BUNCH of deer and pigs with handloaded 150 gr SST’s out of a 270 Win and have yet to see it.

Wow. It is possible. Not all bullets from the same manufacturer perform equally across all calibers and weights.

I know from the ~50 pigs I've killed with the Grendel and 123gr SST, and the ~125 I've killed with the 120gr SST out of the 6.8 that they are one of the best options in those two cartridges. I also have a friend that swears by the 95gr in his .243... but that doesn't mean that Hornady got it right in every bullet.

Not that I'm confusing making a mess on exit with lethality, but the SSTs I've used have done both.

I've got 500 of the 150gr SST in .308 that I will eventually start using on hogs...but I have quite a few more bullets to try in the Grendel first.

*On a side note, I've busted two armadillos now at close range with this 120gr Gold Dot that I'm testing (6.5 Grendel) ...one at ~60, and the other at about 15 yards last night. Not a chunk one from either. The SST usually makes some pretty spectacular explosions on thermal.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. It is possible. Not all bullets from the same manufacturer perform equally across all calibers and weights.

I know from the ~50 pigs I've killed with the Grendel and 123gr SST, and the ~125 I've killed with the 120gr SST out of the 6.8 that they are one of the best options in those two cartridges. I also have a friend that swears by the 95gr in his .243... but that doesn't mean that Hornady got it right in every bullet.

Not that I'm confusing making a mess on exit with lethality, but the SSTs I've used have done both.

I've got 500 of the 150gr SST in .308 that I will eventually start using on hogs...but I have quite a few more bullets to try in the Grendel first.

*On a side note, I've busted two armadillos now at close range with this 120gr Gold Dot that I'm testing (6.5 Grendel) ...one at ~60, and the other at about 15 yards last night. Not a chunk one from either. The SST usually makes some pretty spectacular explosions on thermal.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the performance of the 150 gr SST’s on game. It’s been the best .277 cal bullet I’ve tried at putting a deer or pig down fast. It’s been my go-to load for several years. The ones I use are Midway blems, and they shoot MOA or better out of my rifles.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve always heard that SST’s make a mess on game, but I’ve shot A BUNCH of deer and pigs with handloaded 150 gr SST’s out of a 270 Win and have yet to see it.
Sorry for the thread drift but 130 gr sst handloads in my .270 puts game in the dirt right there. It's my go to when I want it done.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I love the performance of the 150 gr SST’s on game. It’s been the best .277 cal bullet I’ve tried at putting a deer or pig down fast. It’s been my go-to load for several years. The ones I use are Midway blems, and they shoot MOA or better out of my rifles.

If you an keep the SST at MOA, then there is no way I'd start looking at other options.

I figured you had good luck from your original post. Nobody shoots "a BUNCH" of game while getting crappy results...especially on deer where it may be a trophy you're about to pull the trigger on.

I got to looking at the photos of pigs I've shot with the SST. The unfortunate part is that most of my photos with the dead animal and rifle I've tried to avoid most of the mess. However, I did notice a definite trend to very jagged exit holes...not that jagged exit holes correlate with ultimate lethality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom