Glock 45 GAP versus Glock 45 ACP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to admit I am not a Glock 45 fan. For me the tradeoffs are not worth it:

45acp - demands a large frame gun. Even the SF (short frame) models and very thick and difficult to conceal. These are big guns, even the "sub-compacts". I'm not saying they aren't nice guns, I think the 21 would be a sweet range gun, but they aren't for concealment. Recoil is reasonable in this platform and it is Glock tough on durability.

45gap - They shortened the cartridge a bit and put a small pistol primer in it. Then they put a large frame slide on a small frame "frame". It feels just like a small frame Glock, BUT it still has the slide thickness (and weigh) of a large frame. The real sad story of the 45gap is its greatly diminished capacity. G37 is 10+1 rounds, G38 is 8+1 rounds, and G30 is a very low 6+1 rounds.

My size of choice is the G23 sized compact. Not only is it 13+1 rounds capacity, but it is thinner because of the small frame slide thickness as well. I just don't think the 45 caliber is worth the trade offs for me. 45gap is a trade off in capacity (and availability) and 45acp is a tradeoff in platform size.

For the people who think the 40s&w is snappy, and it sure can be, I really think the 180gr ammunition shines because it is a slower, heavier round with more of a push than snap similar to the way 230gr 45acp feels.

If you are an energy junkie, go for the 357sig platform. It again has none of the disadvantages of the larger platforms. I really like the 40s&w 180gr.

Good luck,

Alan

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the people who think the 40s&w is snappy, and it sure can be, I really think the 180gr ammunition shines because it is a slower, heavier round with more of a push than snap similar to the way 230gr 45acp feels.

If you are an energy junkie, go for the 357sig platform. It again has none of the disadvantages of the larger platforms. I really like the 40s&w 180gr.

Good luck,

Alan

I personally have never cared for any other bullet weight than the 180gr. It was the cartridge originally developed by Winchester and Speer way back when and it is still the best sized slug out there, IMHO.

A lot of guys try the 165gr and the 155gr, hell...somebody told me there was even a 135gr round out there.

WTF? :ugh2:

I'm with you Alan. I like the .40S&W too. :thumb:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of the Model 37's. I like the idea of being able to shoot a .45 with a G-17 size grip. Another plus for me is being able to use the same reloading dies on either cartridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom