Glock hater thinking of buying a Glock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With my g20 the only time I have a problem is with the Lone Wolf barrel or hand loads. If I have the stock barrel in and run store bought or hand load ammo it is flawless. Have been running Sig 180 grain in the lone wolf every chance I get trying to get the barrel broke in, Sitting at about 800 rounds down the pipe and it still will not run hand loads. May end up sending it back and getting them to open the chamber a smidge. Really gave up on the lone wolf barrel for hunting season after I figured out the factory barrel runs the 200 grain lead TC coated just fine.

I have an 80% build G17 with Swenson slide and barrel and get 90% reliability with factory ammo and about 65% with hand loads.
Needless to say, that's a range toy only.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the 80's when the damn plastic thing first came out I was at the range when a Glock salesman showed up. He politely waited utnil we were through and then walked up to the rangemaster who called us all together to watch a demo. He took out this black plastic thing, opened the chamber locking it to the rear, stripped out the magazine then like a kid skipping a rock on a pond, threw the black plastic thing into the dirt.

After watching this thing skip 3 times and all of us cringing at the sight of this heinous treatment of any firearm, he then walked over to it, picked it up shoved a full 9mm mag into it and proceeded to rip off 15 rounds with no stoppages.

He did the same drill again this time into the sandy area behind him and ripped off another 15 rounds. I was impressed but have still never owned one having had put all my eggs into a Para Ordinance and an officer's model for backup.

I have continued to watch these black plastic things grow into a national/worldwide love affair and was fully prepared to purchase one but came home instead with a subcompact 40 XD about 7 years ago. This was mainly due to my precursor 1911 days and the grip angle for me was spot on compared to the Glock.

This Christmas I have added a full sized .45 XDM (wife's idea) to my stable and still don't have a black plastic thing.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Most of us dislike Glock because there are those out there....you know the one’s I’m talking about the Super Glock Fan BOYS! The ones who constantly spew goo about them ....they are the end all, do all, best firearm ever devised by man , EVER..... this is one of the primary reasons I only own one GLOCK and my wife shoots it exclusively. They are an adequate gun for the money, like so many others
This!
I’d add that the belief that they hold and are ready to tell you is not only is their Glock is superior but all others are pieces of donkey ****. I was neutral on them before, fired a couple but didn’t like they way they fit my hand as much as others. I remember when Ruger first came out with the SR9c, I wanted to get my hands on one so I go to a local gun shop and a guy asks me if he can help me. “Do y’all have the new Ruger SR9c?” He replied,” You don’t want that piece of ****, come get a real gun, a Glock.” From then on I was turned off of them. I’m sure they are a fine weapon but their are plenty of other fine weapons as well.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an 80% build G17 with Swenson slide and barrel and get 90% reliability with factory ammo and about 65% with hand loads.
Needless to say, that's a range toy only.

So you "milled" a pistol frame with a drill press and you did the reloads? Are these results what your basing your Glock experiences (hate) on?

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The glock fanboy types kept me uninterested in them for years. My first was a 32 and I loved it...still do. Several models have come and gone from my collection. I'm down to the 32, a 33, and a 19. (because you just HAVE to have a 19). To me, the 48 just seems silly. What will it do that a 19 won't? I tell myself that it answers a question that wasn't asked. However, I still want one.....logical or not it seems like a pretty sweet gun.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It took me quite a while to accept a plastic pistol. I was used to all steel S&W gen 2 and gen 3 semi autos. I had a friend that tried to sell me on a gen 1 Glock 17. I shot it very well and I was tempted, but just couldn't talk my self into it.

Fast forward a year or so and I picked up a gen 2 G19 and a gen 3 G17 along with several other handguns at a DEA auction. After shooting these Glocks a few sessions at the range I decided I liked plastic striker fired pistols alright.

Shortly after that I came across a real good deal on a new M&P C online and after shooting it I decided I liked it much better than the Glocks. Over time I slowly got away from Glocks, preferring the M&P line because of better ergonomics and also because they cost about $100 less.

I never thought I would be interested in another Glock until I started handling the gen5 models a lot at the shop. I decided that if I came across the right deal I would get one. A member here put up a like new G19.5 for the right price and I bought it.

It feels good in my hand and it is reliable and accurate, and I find myself looking for more deals on other models that I may be interested in owning.

I have handled the 43X and the 48. I don't know if I'll ever own one or the other but I can sure understand all the interest in them.

Last edited:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned 3 Glocks. The first was a G36 I bought right after they came out. It was a jam-o-matic and put me off the brand for a few years. The second was a used G17 that worked perfectly, but got sold when I needed cash for an emergency. The third was another used G17 that worked about 98% of the time with 9mm factory brass loads, but perfectly with Advantage Arm .22 conversion kit. It was my favorite .22 for quite a while until another financial emergency led to selling it.
My experience with Glocks has been a bit uneven. I'd like to get a G40 but I can't bring myself to do it.
And with the G36, I rented one a few years ago at a range in Texas that was filthy and worked every time. I really like that G36, but again I just won't buy it.
Glocks work really well for most people, I'm just not one of them.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you held a Glock? Everyone will have different opinions, of course, in my case, I found them to be akin to holding a cheap-feeling brick. I’ve owned or handled half a dozen different models, and of them all, I found only the single-stack G36 to be anywhere near comfortable to hold, compared to other hand guns I’ve owned and/or fired. And for me, the G36 was a literal pain to shoot, with my strong hand smarting after just one magazine, so I got rid of that one and have not owned any Glocks since. Now the single-stack 9mm model might tempt me...

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have you held a Glock? Everyone will have different opinions, of course, in my case, I found them to be akin to holding a cheap-feeling brick. I’ve owned or handled half a dozen different models, and of them all, I found only the single-stack G36 to be anywhere near comfortable to hold, compared to other hand guns I’ve owned and/or fired. And for me, the G36 was a literal pain to shoot, with my strong hand smarting after just one magazine, so I got rid of that one and have not owned any Glocks since. Now the single-stack 9mm model might tempt me...

I've done dozens of grip reduction/hump removal and stipple jobs on Glocks to get them to a more comfortable level of handling for multiple people. Myself being one of them back when I had a 19 years ago.
I understand the grip on Glocks not being up to snuff.
I don't have a lot of experience with the single stack models so I'm hoping the 48 is good to go from the box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom