GMRS radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
@Zachrankin . According to Scadacore you have line of sight. But it will take a radio putting out more wattage that what a hand held will do. Also it will take a beam style antenna (yagi) and some height to clear houses and such around you. Also at least LMR400 coax. UHF/VHF is high loss so rg58 and variants will cost to much DBI The OKC 650 is 320 ft high. 40 to 50 watts on the radio....
I have a guy in Washington is doing it with 25 watts , but you are a little further out I believe. I did not dial that map completely in so you are a couple miles closer that the graph shows.
Screenshot (24).png

Last edited:

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Zachrankin . According to Scadacore you have line of sight. But it will take a radio putting out more wattage that what a hand held will do. Also it will take a beam style antenna (yagi) and some height to clear houses and such around you. Also at least LMR400 coax. UHF/VHF is high loss so rg58 and variants will cost to much DBI The OKC 650 is 320 ft high. 40 to 50 watts on the radio....
I have a guy in Washington is doing it with 25 watts , but you are a little further out I believe. I did not dial that map completely in so you are a couple miles closer that the graph shows. View attachment 496763
I listened to 2 guys talk this weekend 20+ miles apart one was on a baofang hand held using a repeater

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I listened to 2 guys talk this weekend 20+ miles apart one was on a baofang hand held using a repeater
Yep... It is amazing what that repeater will allow the ht's to do. Pretty sure I was listening to the same conversation. I bought a Tidradio TH8 because of all the great reports they get .
There is another user that flies a parachute and he takes his hand held , pretty cool some of the conversations he has.

Zachrankin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a guy in Washington is doing it with 25 watts , but you are a little further out I believe. I did not dial that map completely in so you are a couple miles closer that the graph shows. View attachment 496763
definitely getting something besides the handheld. I got the upgraded whip antenna for my tidradio, I’m now getting to the OKC650 repeater from El Reno

Latest posts

Top Bottom