Good tactical scope for AR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okbishop

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking to put a scope on my AR-15. It won't be used for much long range shooting so I would like one a bit shorter in length if I can.

Thanks

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple of points and questions.

Tell us more about your AR and distances you will be shooting.
How are your eyes? Corrected vision, astigmatism, that kind of stuff.

Will this weapon be used in any other role? Home defense, competition. Etc.

What is your budget?

mapcon1941

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my Nikon P-223 (around $170). It is a fixed 4x with a BDC reticle and amazing low-light use. I can close the front scope cap and still see the reticle. I think that a lower zoom would work better for up close and personal shooting though. As noted above, budget is a BIG factor.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my Nikon P-223 (around $170). It is a fixed 4x with a BDC reticle and amazing low-light use. I can close the front scope cap and still see the reticle. I think that a lower zoom would work better for up close and personal shooting though. As noted above, budget is a BIG factor.

I would +1 this. Or roll out a value redfield, vortex. I would stay away from most of the "cheaply priced" tacticool looking stuff. I learned the lesson of it being junk. Even both the Bushnell agoc clones ended up with a floating reticle.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Vortex Razor 1-4x will do everything you hope to do with an AR from 10 feet out to 400 yards.
if you're wanting to stay under $200 get a primary arms 1-4x or for about $250 the primary arms 1-6x

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new leupold mark ar 1-4 is nice. Turrets set up for 223. Also the Burris lrs? 1-4 with illuminated reticle is nice. The bdc in it is good for 300+ yds. They say farther, but I have my doubts. Both of these are budget minded without being junk. If you want cheaper than that, spend the money on ammo and learn to use irons.