Government at work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least this time in was not the Feds.

Hunters across Louisiana are outraged after state health officials ordered a rescue mission to destroy $8,000 worth of deer meat because venison is not allowed to be served in homeless shelters.

The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins – and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox – so other animals would not eat the meat.

“Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana,” said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News. “While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public.”

That statement set off a firestorm among hunters and lawmakers who called it outrageous and insulting.

“That’s a mild understatement,” said Richard Campbell, one of the founders of Hunters for the Hungry, a group that has been donating wild game to shelters since 1993. “Hunters are going nuts over it. It’s created an outrage across our state and even over into Mississippi.”

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/health-dept-homeless-cant-eat-deer-meat.html

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder what type of meats they do allow? I don't see how venison poses any risks that chicken, beef, or pork do not. Retarded they are. Guberment......

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can actually understand why a bureaucrat would do something like that--wild game is not subject to the same health inspections, protocols, and procedures as livestock, so there's no way to certify that the deer meat isn't carrying some kind of food-borne pathogen. But maybe they should figure out how to do that instead of wasting what is almost certainly good meat that was donated to a good cause...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can actually understand why a bureaucrat would do something like that--wild game is not subject to the same health inspections, protocols, and procedures as livestock, so there's no way to certify that the deer meat isn't carrying some kind of food-borne pathogen. But maybe they should figure out how to do that instead of wasting what is almost certainly good meat that was donated to a good cause...

It's most likely to be healthier than any other meat they could serve. It's professionally processed as well, not butchered at home by who knows who.

The Dept. of Health and Hospitals should be required to replace the meat from their own budget IMO. :(

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its such a danger, why don't they make it illegal for EVERYONE to consume?
I didn't say it was dangerous, or even that they were using that as a justification, just that it was a possible excuse, err, reason for the bureaucratic crapola. Personally, I think it's just another case of bureaucratic narrow-mindedness, kind of like zero-tolerance (read "zero-intelligence") policies...

Latest posts

Top Bottom