Grandaddy's Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My late grandfather handed several firearms down to me when he was alive. He bought, traded and sold them frequently. I've always felt it a little taboo to trade or sell what some would call an heirloom gun. His guns mean a lot to me only because they came from him. One of those guns is a Remington 700 in 25-06. Not sure what the date of manufacturing is, but it has the black tip on the forearm and a smooth as glass long action slide. It's a flat shooting deer rifle for sure. My dilemma with this gun is the availability of the ammunition. I never find it on the shelves of Basspro, Academy and their likes. I could buy it online for $2.50 to $3 bucks a round, but I'd rather invest in a more common caliber.

Because of this, I'm considering on trading the Remington for another 700 in 308. 308 is always available, cheaper than 25-06, and 308 is a military cartridge so even better for stockpiling. I do some reloading and probably could just make 25-06, but I'd like to stockpile a couple thousand rounds of a more common caliber. My kids don't really care much for guns so I leaning on selling it, but I hate the idea of possibly regretting doing so.

Well, what do I do? Trade or sell the gun or suck it up and keep granddaddys gun.

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two heirloom guns from my parents that I never, ever shoot. It's not because of the scarce ammo supply (.38 Special and .25ACP) it's because I just don't. I can't give any other explanation than that. I say keep grandaddy's gun and find something else to hunt with.

Condolences on the passing of your grandfather. :comfort:

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My late grandfather handed several firearms down to me when he was alive. He bought, traded and sold them frequently. I've always felt it a little taboo to trade or sell what some would call an aireloom gun. His guns mean a lot to me only because they came from him. One of those guns is a Remington 700 in 25-06. Not sure what the date of manufacturing is, but it has the black tip on the forearm and a smooth as glass long action slide. It's a flat shooting deer rifle for sure. My dilemma with this gun is the availability of the ammunition. I never find it on the shelves of Basspro, Academy and their likes. I could buy it online for $2.50 to $3 bucks a round, but I'd rather invest in a more common caliber.

Because of this, I'm considering on trading the Remington for another 700 in 308. 308 is always available, cheaper than 25-06, and 308 is a military cartiridge so even better for stockpiling. I do some reloading and probably could just make 25-06, but I'd like to stockpile a couple thousand rounds of a more common caliber. My kids don't really care much for guns so I leaning on selling it, but I hate the idea of possibly regretting doing so.

Well, what do I do? Trade or sell the gun or suck it up and keep granddaddys gun.
I'm sure your Grandpa would want you to be happy as he was buying, selling and trading guns and pretty sure he'd look down and say "you're a chip off the old block" if you decided to do it.

Last edited:

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’d keep it if it was me but I’d be passing it onto my son.

If you aren’t passing it on then I guess I’d probably get rid of it if You would enjoy a .308 and a stockpile of ammo more than granddaddy’s gun.

But… In my opinion the 25-06 and a few boxes of ammo doesn’t take up that much room. Keep that sucker. There’s millions of .308’s.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The only place I’ve seen 25-06 recently was Walmart. The one at Santa Fe and danforth had a couple boxes. It actually sat there for a week.
You could rebarrel it and keep the ‘heart’ of the gun. Could always reinstall the original if you wanted to.
You can even put a 308 barrel on the long action receiver.

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest a different route and have the rifle rebarreled into a more common cartridge (.270 / .30-06). It is the most expensive route, but you get to keep grandpa's gun, and ammo will much easier to find since you don't reload.

Or, you can have a .308 Win chambered barrel spun up on it too. Just because it is a standard/long action doesn't mean you can't put a short action cartridge into it...Although I'd caveat that by suggesting that cartridges with steeper shoulder angles may give a bit more potential to feeding issues.

^ I have a rebuilt M24 (U. S. Army/Air Force sniper rifle) that is a .308 on a 700 long action...never had an issue with feeding or extraction myself.