Great day at the range, and a question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the range today to shoot some rounds from my new Nordic dedicated .22 cal upper, with a red dot that came in Friday.
man, that thing is a tack driver.
At the range we have containers for live rounds. If a live round is found, had misfires, etc, one can put the rounds in a container, and they will be properly disposed of.
Well, today, I checked the container at the 100 yd range finding 66 rounds of .223. Brand new Tula steel cased ammo locked into the plastic holders. I shook a couple and they have powder. I'm hoping they shoot.

My question is that at the same 100yd range, in the spent brass container, there was almost 200 rounds of .223 brass. I thought I'd hit the mother load, but noticed every one of them had a severely cracked neck.
I brought them home anyway to sell the brass, as I keep all junk brass in a bucket to sell, but wondered why they all had a cracked neck?

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That cracked neck can come from improper loading. Those stress fractures in the neck point to a BIG problem. Sell it for junk and use the profits to buy a new gun! I hear that if you will tumble clean it first, you'll get more per lb over dirty brass...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if the guns chamber was oversized or something. You see the occasional cracked neck after reloading a few times and not annealing, but these were really bad.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been getting cracked case necks with the first firing of the Federal bulk packs from wally world.

HMMMM.
Seems I've heard that the federal bulk packs are Lake city ammo, as they are one in the same?

I'm not liking the Fed bulk packs as they have crimped primers, and I don't have a primer swedge yet.

Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom