Great Deal on 10/22 Takedown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to get a nice 10/22 so I could introduce my nieces and nephews into shooting, but with ammo availability, that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

Dude, bring them to an Appleseed shoot. I sell .22 LR for $16/brick to anyone who comes to an Appleseed, and we also provide loaner rifles if you need them. It is a great program for new and experienced rifle shooters alike. We shoot the Army Qualification Test course of fire, which is a lot of fun. See the link in my sig.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, bring them to an Appleseed shoot. I sell .22 LR for $16/brick to anyone who comes to an Appleseed, and we also provide loaner rifles if you need them. It is a great program for new and experienced rifle shooters alike. We shoot the Army Qualification Test course of fire, which is a lot of fun. See the link in my sig.
I'd love to, but they're out of state. I do plan on attending a local one soon with my wife.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you buy a takedown, it's almost obligatory to buy a SR22 pistol(the one that comes with three magazines seems like the best value to me), too, because they pair so nicely together and fit perfectly together in the case with plenty of room for extra mags & other essentials.

That is exactly what I did. I paired them up, and have ten 25rd mags for the 10/22, and eight for the SR22, and two bricks stored in the case, plus all mags stay loaded. A perfect setup for me.

Even if you plan on running a scope or reddot, get the Tech-sights for the 10/22. They are a better iron sight setup than the original sights.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you buy a takedown, it's almost obligatory to buy a SR22 pistol(the one that comes with three magazines seems like the best value to me), too, because they pair so nicely together and fit perfectly together in the case with plenty of room for extra mags & other essentials.

I may end up doing this. I had hoped that the ZIP pistol would be reliable, so I could use the same mags for both pistol and rifle, but I guess that's not going to happen.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The takedown barrel can be cleaned from the chamber, and this is easier on crowns. There is a conversion you can do that involves drilling the rear end of the receiver on a regular 10/22 that provides the same result. I wonder if the triggers on the takedown are as bad as the other factory 10/22s.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The stock triggers leave a lot to be desired. I have 2 Takedowns. One for each son. I have installed the volquartsen trigger kits in both. In my opinion the kits make a significant improvement. My brother put a Kidd trigger in his. The Kidd trigger is really nice but it costs almost as much as the rifle. I also put Tech sights on both guns. I highly recommend the Tech sights.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if the triggers on the takedown are as bad as the other factory 10/22s.
The factory trigger on my 1022 takedown was spectacularly bad. Volquartsen target hammer helped a lot, but there is still room for some improvement.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it holds zero with a receiver-mounted optic though.

bushrat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Agreed! My 10/22 TD is an excellent shooter, and as mentioned seems to return to zero every time so far. It came with a nice case, although I paid a bit too much at the time. It's had Aguila, Remington, and CCI run through it so far and the accuracy is pretty decent, 2"-3" at 50 yds with iron sights. Still looking for the right scope for it. Hope to have something soon and then we'll see what she will do out to 100 yds. Would not hesitate to recommend this rifle to everyone.

Now, as far as the Ruger SR22 goes, I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I could pick up the sights, and it shot very well. At about 15 yds we were putting our shots into 2" off hand and never had a fte or ftf. Shooting Aguila, Federal, and CCI Standard velocity rnds. It's fairly light weight at just over a pound and handles very well. I like the way it fits my hand. As Raoul Duke said, they would make a nice pair.

Latest posts

Top Bottom