Group limits (Waterfowl)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reading this post on DHC regarding group limits: http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=675594&p=7262650#p7262650

A couple of old guys took me duck hunting a few years ago and once I had my limit I started to pack up my gun but was told to keep shooting, we didn't have all of our limits yet. It didn't seem right to me and we didn't get any shots after that anyway so I didn't think too much about it. I just figured that was the deal. I wasn't really sure or comfortable with it though. It hasn't been an issue since then but after reading the DHC post, I'm curious what you guys think?

I have gone forward with the notion that I'll shoot my limit and wrap up. I like to know what birds I shoot, keep them in my pile and hunt my own hunt even when I'm with a group just as a matter of principle and I go out of my way to make sure I'm not violating the law and being conservation minded. For those reasons I'm not really into the group limit idea. As long as it's legal, I could care less what other people do. However, I tend to think it's not and want to make sure I'm clear before this season gets started.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/laws_regs/2015-2016Waterfowl_Regs.pdf

OK Regs (Page 2):

Ducks: Six. The daily bag limit may include no more than five mallards (only two maybe hens), three wood ducks, three scaup, two redheads, two pintails, and two canvasbacks.

Possession Limits: The possession limit is one daily bag limit for anyone who has hunted for one day. The possession limit increases to two daily bag limits for anyone who has hunted for two days.The possession limit increases to three daily bag limits for anyone who has hunted for three days. No one may possess more than three daily bag limits at any time.

Federal Regs (page 14):

Daily Bag Limit: No person shall take in any one day more thanone daily bag limit.

Field Possession: No person shall possess more than one daily bag limit, tagged or not tagged, in the field and when returning from the field to either one'scar or hunting camp, home, etc.

Wanton Waste: All migratory game birds shall be retrieved if possible, and retained in the custody of the hunter in the field.

Tagging: No person shall give, put or leave any migratory game birds at any place or in the custody of another person unless the birds are tagged by the hunter with the following information.Tagging is required if birds are being transported by another person for the hunter, or if birds have been left for cleaning, storage(including temporary storage), shipment, or taxidermy services.

1. The hunter’s signature.
2. The hunter’s address.
3. The total number of birds involved, by species.
4. The dates such birds were killed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems clear to me that I shoot my limit and pack up and start making breakfast.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You're correct, you can't party hunt. Try to keep your birds separate from others until the trophy shot at the end. I've seen some pics of guided sea duck hunts where the guide will have different color zip ties for each hunter's birds. Ducks, mergansers, coots, geese all have separate limits so just because you're done with one limit, you can still be legal in the blind "hunting", as long as all those limits aren't filled...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. Your bag limit is your bag limit. Period. No sharing or combining.

Some folks consider shared bag limits to be the "little white lie" of hunting regs I guess, but then preach to others about "integrity", being "sportsmen" etc...

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was chatting with a couple of Federal Wildlife agents in conjunction with Hunter Safety Classes, and they brought up how many people mistakenly believe "group limits" myths.
There are no "Group Limits", only for each individual. In some locations, they know all they have to do is watch and count, then go in and start writing tickets.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What these two say[emoji115]🏻
I would hate to say it but at one point the 'Fuge is where everybody seemed to be "greater than thou". Then after they had their big collapse following the change of ownership, that mentality seemed to shift to DHC.

For the record, group limits are illegal. That's the bottom line.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the above is correct. No party hunting and you better keep your birds separate when packing out, in the truck etc .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It used to be in the regs way back in the day that birds not found "should" be included when calculating the daily limit. Its not in there any more, but it makes sense.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what do you do when everyone in the blind opens up on a group and you know good and well several of your buddies can't hit the broad side of a barn yet they claim "I got that one", but you know it was really your pellets that brought the bird down???

Latest posts

Top Bottom