Group limits (Waterfowl)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only hunted with one other guy in a blind at a time, I would take the ones on the right and he got the ones on the left.

If there were some he missed and I still had ammo I would take the shot and the bird was mine.
When it came time to eat them we all ate together.

I have not ever had someone argue who's bird it was..If I was in that situation I would hunt alone.
I prefer to hunt alone anyway though.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought the regs were clear on this myself, limits of ducks are counted as individual limits. There is no group limit.

How many hunters have I heard talk about how "it's not about getting a limit, it's the experience".

I like shootin' lots of stuff, too. Who doesn't? That doesn't mean I'm willing to risk my hunting privileges for an extra duck or two.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what do you do when everyone in the blind opens up on a group and you know good and well several of your buddies can't hit the broad side of a barn yet they claim "I got that one", but you know it was really your pellets that brought the bird down???

I agree with them, and let them fill their limit. That's one less I have to clean![emoji106]

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been really fortunate that the guys I hunt with know their birds. In the past though on rare occasion, when hunting with a couple of guys I didn't know well, geese were coming in and you could hear the sound of specks, I would cringe since the speck limit was just one, not knowing if they could tell the difference or not. Same went for pins when their limit was just one.

Mikemc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We all have that one guy in the blind that claims every bird that falls on a big flock (or at least 3), but can't ever seem to down a single when you call his name for the Shot. Most of the time it's just part of it (and kind of funny), but I've seen it get ugly when bands are involved.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes in the duck blind its really hard to determine who shot what. However you can make an educated guess, more importantly if you are 2 ducks away from your combined limit and there are 4 guys in the blind all 4 guys should not be blazing away when the next group of birds comes in! Pick 2 guys who haven't filled their limit yet and let them do the shooting! One bird each of course!!!!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing ticked me off more than hunting with my former buddy and his dad. The birds ALWAYS came in on the side his dad was sitting on. His dad would shoot his limit and continue to shoot into our limits...Thanks, I didn't want to shoot my 6 birds anyways.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing ticked me off more than hunting with my former buddy and his dad. The birds ALWAYS came in on the side his dad was sitting on. His dad would shoot his limit and continue to shoot into our limits...Thanks, I didn't want to shoot my 6 birds anyways.

I would have gladly collected $500 worth of Operation Game Thief on his behalf :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom