Group to give Moore schools helmets for tornado protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As many as 34,000 students and workers in the Moore school district soon will have access to helmets for protection during severe weather.

Moore Helmets for Schools, a group of volunteers headed by the mother of a Briarwood Elementary School student who survived the deadly May 20 tornado, has raised $250,000 to pay for skating helmets and storage bins.

Group members are set to deliver helmets and bins to four schools — Briarwood and Plaza Towers elementary schools and Highland East and Central junior high schools — beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday.

For entire article: http://newsok.com/group-to-give-moore-schools-helmets-for-tornado-protection/article/3940166

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:clap3: I remember living in still water calling my wife to put on a motorcycle helmet, and armored motorcycle jacket "just in case" as she sat in the hallway with a mattress over a baby car seat. At that point in our lives that was all the protection from the storm we had, and I was damn glad that little bit was there.

TheLlama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shelters will never happen to the existing schools. Its far to expensive to retrofit. I get tired of seeing all the hullaballoo about putting shelters in all the schools. Hell, we cant even fix the roads and bridges we take to get kids to school. I do think it would be a good idea for cities in future school building to crunch the numbers on shelters. I would like to see it happen.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's great they did that! The number one killer during a tornado is head injuries. When the tornadoes come everyone in my family gets a helmet. I prefer full face motorcycle helmets but I only have one of those so I have two ACH military helmets doing the job too. This reminds me I need to hit the pawn shop and Craig's List to find a few more full face motorcycle helmets for tornado duty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom