GSSF Style Practice Match.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never shot competition, but this has me fired up! Unless it's frigid cold, I'm going to make it.

Great! That is one of the main purposes of these matches.

Please let the ROs know this is your first match so they can do everything possible to make it an enjoyable first of many.

Don’t worry about your time or finish position. Use it as a gauge to measure your future progress. I tell people not to set the bar too high and make it difficult to beat it. ;) I see serious improvement with people shooting these.

A good friend of mine went to his first match and shot a ~235s total time and finished in the bottom 10% at his first match. This was after considerable work and practice with him prior going. It set a mark, identified places for improvement. A year later he was ~105 and hopes to break under 100 at the next match. Incredible change.

Another shot a 192s at his first match in 2019 He has recently been promoted to Master after his 3 pistol division wins and most recently shot a 63s. 1/3 the total time.

My personal improvements were not near as dramatic. I’m a slow learner!! :) But, I have cut over 20% of my best time of my first match. My first was better than most because of a practice match just like these and a few peers giving me advice.

Most of these improvements were not made by memorizing the course of fire. It was from skill building. Signal to first shot times dropping to near or below 1s depend on target distance. Proper trigger manipulation while keeping the sights on target. Changing cadence on demand as needed, both speeding up and slowing down. That .20 split works pretty good on that 5yard target, but you had better put the brakes on on the one at 25yards. Target transitions. Anxiety management (the game plan goes out the window when the timer goes beep). Learning where you can risk a bit faster shot without gaining penalty seconds on your total time.

Most gun owners don’t shoot their firearms on a regular basis yet feel they are protected. Many times I think they avoid competitions to keep reality from interfering with their feeling if security. If a person can get past that and use it as a learning experience, they will gain momentum by leaps and bounds.

I think you will find it rewarding. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!!

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have seen your posts where you’re showing off new pistols that you’ve won. Aside from the fun of competing, that is a serious motivating factor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got bumped into a higher tax bracket with all the Glocks he won. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Signed up!!

upload_2020-12-5_6-14-9.png

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Mad Professor can you shoot more than one division? Say shoot stock then rimfire? Would you shoot both at the same stage or do they run one division then the next? Also is it $20 per division?

The first match, 12/12/20, will be limited to one division per person. But after that it will be opened up to allow additional divisions to be entered. This is to allow the ROs other volunteers to get used to the format and procedures. Iron out any kinks. $20 for the first division and $10 for subsequent divisions.

At a sanctioned Glock match, it is pretty much a come and go and shoot in any order you wish. At the one I’m attending today, I shot 4 divisions at each stage. Sometimes they inserted another shooter in between pairs. I believe that is the same format that will be used at the practice matches.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a link to the match.

They just opened the registration to the match.

https://practiscore.com/okcgc-gssf-practice-match-december-2020/register

This first match will be capped. Those pre-signed in will have priority. If I understood correctly, you will need to check into the match by 9:30 to keep your preregistered spot. Those that don’t preregister will be processed on a standby basis.

PractiScore preregistration makes it much easier on the match director.

Latest posts

Top Bottom