GSSF Style Practice Match.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bump!

If the weather stays as forecast, it won’t be too bad.

Get in on the first one to figure out what skills you need to work on first. Don’t worry about if you are ready or not. You likely say you are protected because you own a firearm. See where you are at in being able to hit the critical area of a man sized target at varying distances under the pressure of a timer!

https://practiscore.com/okcgc-gssf-practice-match-december-2020/register

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been pretty excited about this. So much so, that I've recently made two range trips, shooting at the proper size targets & distances. The first range trip made me feel pretty good. Yesterday was abysmal. Maybe I was tired, but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 25 yards until I paused, re-focused on technique, and ran the last few magazines. The last two magazines were all in the 10's at 25 yards. Most range trips this past year have been just for fun, but not really focusing on any sort of drills. This is a welcome change.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been pretty excited about this. So much so, that I've recently made two range trips, shooting at the proper size targets & distances. The first range trip made me feel pretty good. Yesterday was abysmal. Maybe I was tired, but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 25 yards until I paused, re-focused on technique, and ran the last few magazines. The last two magazines were all in the 10's at 25 yards. Most range trips this past year have been just for fun, but not really focusing on any sort of drills. This is a welcome change.

It’s tough to balance the speed and accuracy aspect of it. All 10’s at 25 is awesome!

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s tough to balance the speed and accuracy aspect of it. All 10’s at 25 is awesome!
All 10's on the last two magazines, but taking my time and focusing on technique and point of aim at that distance. I was going slow, and did not have a timer in my ear during those! What I've found to be difficult is adjusting the point of aim from the 5-11 yard targets, then remembering to adjust on the fly for 25 yards. At 25, I've found that the POA makes a huge difference, and I have to keep training myself to make that adjustment quickly. It'll be a different world on Saturday, but I'm looking forward to it.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All 10's on the last two magazines, but taking my time and focusing on technique and point of aim at that distance. I was going slow, and did not have a timer in my ear during those! What I've found to be difficult is adjusting the point of aim from the 5-11 yard targets, then remembering to adjust on the fly for 25 yards. At 25, I've found that the POA makes a huge difference, and I have to keep training myself to make that adjustment quickly. It'll be a different world on Saturday, but I'm looking forward to it.

That’s what it is all about!!!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice. What size is the 10 ring?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So let’s say at 25 yards you take an addition 2 seconds to get the shot in the 8” ring over what it would take you to get it in the 12” ring. The shot in the 12” would gain you a 1 sec penalty. So you would have been better off pulling the trigger a bit quicker.

But what we see more often is someone attempting a .25s split on the 25y target resulting in a 1, 3(outside 12” but on paper) or 10(miss)second penalty. Had they taken the time to get on target with a .75 split, they would have been way ahead in total score.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So let’s say at 25 yards you take an addition 2 seconds to get the shot in the 8” ring over what it would take you to get it in the 12” ring. The shot in the 12” would gain you a 1 sec penalty. So you would have been better off pulling the trigger a bit quicker.

But what we see more often is someone attempting a .25s split on the 25y target resulting in a 1, 3(outside 12” but on paper) or 10(miss)second penalty. Had they taken the time to get on target with a .75 split, they would have been way ahead in total score.
And to me it makes sense to carry that over to a self defense situation. Don't waste too much time trying to get a 10 hit when an 8 or 9 in a faster time might just save your life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom