Guage mate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At 1000 feet per second, the barrel time on a 24" barrel would be .002s. 12ga bore of .729 and a 9mm bullet diameter of .355. Assuming it is directly centered in the 12ga bore you'd have 0.187" of space between the shotgun barrel wall and the 9mm bullet. Dividing .187 by .002 gives you 93.5 in/s (7.79 f/s) velocity of the shotgun barrel in a direction perpendicular to the bullet's travel for the entire .002 second flight time. If you consider it from a standing start, you'll already be behind due to the barrel requiring an acceleration. I don't think it is possible with any of the caliber for the barrel to accelerate fast enough for the bullet to touch the inside of the bore.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At 1000 feet per second, the barrel time on a 24" barrel would be .002s. 12ga bore of .729 and a 9mm bullet diameter of .355. Assuming it is directly centered in the 12ga bore you'd have 0.187" of space between the shotgun barrel wall and the 9mm bullet. Dividing .187 by .002 gives you 93.5 in/s (7.79 f/s) velocity of the shotgun barrel in a direction perpendicular to the bullet's travel for the entire .002 second flight time. If you consider it from a standing start, you'll already be behind due to the barrel requiring an acceleration. I don't think it is possible with any of the caliber for the barrel to accelerate fast enough for the bullet to touch the inside of the bore.

Dustin, I feel that you are not living to your full potential. Have you ever considered going back to school, and joining Lambda Lambda Lambda?

www.90sreality.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_12_Lambda_Lambda_Lambda.jpg

Might be neat to have an insert that was much longer, say 12" to 14" that was mostly small outer diameter, with a spacer every so often to contact the inner shotgun barrel. Hmmmm. I might like to have another cheapo single shot 12 gauge again. Maybe use a take-off AR barrel to make a 12/223 combo? That would be neat. Wonder if a Handi Rifle shotgun receiver would hold up with something like a 308 insert barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom