Gun smithing at home question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the propper tools for the job makes life much simpler. upper barrel vise block, action wrench,lower vise block for lower work.
eddybob.com
email for special Tulsa pickup prices

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have an upper receiver block? If not, borrow/buy one. I am a fan of the clamshell and action rod type. You can also get some newspaper and rosin to keep the barrel from slipping in a barrel vise. If you were in OKC, I would help you out. Maybe one of our Tulsa members would be willing to do the same.

Not a good idea. You need to clamp the barrel as close to the muzzle brake as possible, either make a set of barrel vises out of wood like mentioned in the thread or buy/borrow/steal a barrel vise block for the correct barrel diameter. If you clamp the upper receiver only while torquing on the muzzle brake, something is going to break. The upper receiver is attached to the barrel and then the barrel is attached to the brake. Two different operations, two different tool sets. Get FBT or someone in the Tulsa area with the correct tools to help you!

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's not a good idea? If you are talking about using a clamshell receiver block to remove a muzzle device, I'll agree that it would not be my FIRST choice. As to damaging something, very unlikely unless that muzzle device is way overtorqued. Through the last several years, I have used a clamshell block in a pinch many times and have yet to have an issue. If at all possible though, just use a barrel vise and rosin.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you do when you have a 9" handguard and a 10.5 inch barrel? Or a 16" barrel and 15" handguard? Only way I see is with an upper receiver fixture.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 1 inch of barrel exposed on ar bored same diameter hole in block of aluminum sawed it into would not hold in 5 inch vice put it in 20 ton press to remove muzzle brake

Latest posts

Top Bottom